Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use a food vacuum sealer and what brand?

@geezerette wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Another helpful tip that just came to mind - Whenever I set out to vac-seal fresh meat, I (at least) par-freeze it first. Usually I fully freeze it for hours or overnight anyway, as that way I can be sure that the expansion is complete.

That way it is already expanded (the fibers expand when they freeze), so you not only get a better airtight seal but also you don't end up with blood running into your machine.

@chickenbutt : Thank you. That is a great suggestion because I experienced the blood issue with the ground chuck.

If I want to seal something fresh, I put a narrow strip of paper towel across the bag right below where it will seal.  That catches any juice or fluid that comes from the food before it can interfere with the sealing.

I used to do that with meat until I started freezing my meat before sealing.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Another helpful tip that just came to mind - Whenever I set out to vac-seal fresh meat, I (at least) par-freeze it first. Usually I fully freeze it for hours or overnight anyway, as that way I can be sure that the expansion is complete.

That way it is already expanded (the fibers expand when they freeze), so you not only get a better airtight seal but also you don't end up with blood running into your machine.

@chickenbutt : Thank you. That is a great suggestion because I experienced the blood issue with the ground chuck.

If I want to seal something fresh, I put a narrow strip of paper towel across the bag right below where it will seal.  That catches any juice or fluid that comes from the food before it can interfere with the sealing.

@geezerette : Thank you. Keeping notes on everything.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt : Thanks again. Only Sam's Club for area.

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee - Many years ago when I was trying to decide whether I needed such a gadget, I did a lot of research. I ended up buying the FoodSaver GameSaver, which has lots of useful features and had almost perfect reviews/ratings on multiple websites, even though it was the highest-priced version at the time (and it's still one of the more pricey options). Even though I only use it a couple of times per month, I have never regretted my choice! After almost a decade, it's still going strong.

Tip 1: Almost all vacuum sealers come with free bags or rolls of plastic; when you're finished with those, try the OutOfAir brand on Amazon, which has high-quality items at much lower prices.

Tip 2: If you decide on a model you like from any brand, take the time to browse the web for a few days to check out available deals—it is surprising how much costs can vary and the sales and coupons that crop up for you to take advantage of.

Happy shopping and sealing!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc : Thank you and will research your model.Definitely reading all details and reviews. Plus need a good price.

Respected Contributor

We are on our 2nd Food Saver.  We purchased our 1st when they first were introduced, so it was  decades old when it stopped working. Love our Food Saver.  We purchase the restaurant quality rolls from Amazon. Less expensive and my husband likes to customise the sizes himself.  We buy in bulk, meats, fruits, spices, etc. Some we portion out to fit our needed meal sizes and others we ready for the freezers or pantry.  We have never been disappointed in this purchase!

Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

We are on our 2nd Food Saver.  We purchased our 1st when they first were introduced, so it was  decades old when it stopped working. Love our Food Saver.  We purchase the restaurant quality rolls from Amazon. Less expensive and my husband likes to customise the sizes himself.  We buy in bulk, meats, fruits, spices, etc. Some we portion out to fit our needed meal sizes and others we ready for the freezers or pantry.  We have never been disappointed in this purchase!

@Rockycoast : Thank you. I am still looking and reading reviews.