Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use a food vacuum sealer and what brand?

Another helpful tip that just came to mind - Whenever I set out to vac-seal fresh meat, I (at least) par-freeze it first. Usually I fully freeze it for hours or overnight anyway, as that way I can be sure that the expansion is complete.

That way it is already expanded (the fibers expand when they freeze), so you not only get a better airtight seal but also you don't end up with blood running into your machine.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Foodsaver.  My son was gifted one recently that did not have a removable (washable) overflow tray.

You want that feature!  

@Zhills : Thank you. Yes, the one I purchased had that feature.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

The one downside of that is that you can't double seal without tricking the sensors. 

@Icegoddess  I double seal w/o "tricking" the sensor.  My I thought all FS have a "SEAL" button.

My first FS lasted approxiimately 15 years till the motor died.  My current is the "upright" version & is approximately 9 or 10 yrs old.  Both w/a "SEAL" button.

@Mz iMac @Icegoddess : Like the idea of a double seal.

Honored Contributor

@DrBabs wrote:

I have a Seal A Meal unit that I just love. I keep it tucked away in a cabinet and its slim design doesn't take up much space. Use it on a regular basis and until recently had no problem finding Seal A Meal bags in different sizes. Now those are hard to find so I switched to a different brand of bag I don't like as well. I don't "do" the rolls but prefer a variety of bag sizes for my needs.

@DrBabs : Thank you. I prefer the different size bags instead of the rolls.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've always found Foodsaver to be a good brand.  I have a couple of those (must have a back up).

One year Amazon had a deal I could not resist on a LEM machine.  Now, these cost more than FS but I could afford it at that time and it was a great purchase.  I've had it for quite a few years and at one point it stopped sealing.  It would sukk out the air but not seal.  Since, as I mentioned, it wasn't cheap I decided to call them to see if there was something I could do to fix it.

The guy verified that it was out of warranty (knew that, but it was nice of him to check) and he stayed on the phone with  me while I took it apart (no major deal at all - just a few skrews) and we found that it was exactly what he thought, initially, it was.   He said they have a kit that you can get with the parts to fix it.  I even asked him if, when I get the parts and forgot what to do, I could call again and get help making it work.  He said no problem.

Fortunately, I was able to fix it and it continues to work really well.  I always appreciate when a company has good, caring, and knowledgeable customer service.

One thing I'm bummed about is that it got way harder to get 6" rolls.  I can get 6" pre-cuts, and do, but I also like to have rolls.  I stocked up on the rolls and am good now, as well as the bas and the other 2 sizes (8" & 11").

As for bags/rolls - I have a lot of FS brand and also found the Weston brand to be good quality.

@chickenbutt : Thank you. I appreciate your interesting history with the vacuum sealer and will check the Weston bags. Hoping that Amazon will have a good deal.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

FWIW....

I also use my FS to "reseal" snack bags like potato chips, pretzels, etc., etc., etc. if I don't eat all in one seating.

@Mz iMac : Thank you. Great suggestions.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Another helpful tip that just came to mind - Whenever I set out to vac-seal fresh meat, I (at least) par-freeze it first. Usually I fully freeze it for hours or overnight anyway, as that way I can be sure that the expansion is complete.

That way it is already expanded (the fibers expand when they freeze), so you not only get a better airtight seal but also you don't end up with blood running into your machine.

@chickenbutt : Thank you. That is a great suggestion because I experienced the blood issue with the ground chuck.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt : Thank you. That is a great suggestion because I experienced the blood issue with the ground chuck.

If I want to seal something fresh, I put a narrow strip of paper towel across the bag right below where it will seal.  That catches any juice or fluid that comes from the food before it can interfere with the sealing.

Honored Contributor

Always glad to help!  Smiley Happy Food storage is totally my thing, having grown up poor and having to eat rotten and moldy food.  Needless to say, that also left me as a SUPER picky eater.   (never again!)

I absolutely LOVE being able to vac-seal most things because it is the absolute best way to store so many things and the foods stay pristine in the freezer for years.

I just recently finished some of Costco's Salmon Burgers (sooooo good!) that were from 2014.  (I do identify and date what I vac-seal on the tab of the bag)   I highly recommend those salmon burgers as they are super tasty and one of them, with a little veg or starch, is the perfect meal for me. Frozen dept.  You don't even add a grain of salt as they are super flavorful.   I take them home (they come 12 in a bag) and vac-seal them in mostly onesies and a few in twosies.     The ones I had from 2014 were still perfect and when one might think 'oh, some people will eat anything', well that's totally NOT me as I mentioned above being very food-picky.  Smiley Happy

As you can tell, it's hard for me to stop talking on vacuum sealing.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

The one downside of that is that you can't double seal without tricking the sensors. 

@Icegoddess  I double seal w/o "tricking" the sensor.  My I thought all FS have a "SEAL" button.

My first FS lasted approxiimately 15 years till the motor died.  My current is the "upright" version & is approximately 9 or 10 yrs old.  Both w/a "SEAL" button.

@Mz iMac Probably my bad.  Doing things the hard way again.