Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you use a food vacuum sealer and what brand?

I buy all my meats at Costco and use a Food Saver I also bought from them. Works great.

Honored Contributor

Some Food Saver models seem to last longer than others. Check the ratings for current models from people that have had theirs for many months or a year or two. 

Esteemed Contributor

Foodsaver.  My son was gifted one recently that did not have a removable (washable) overflow tray.

You want that feature!  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The one downside of that is that you can't double seal without tricking the sensors. 

@Icegoddess  I double seal w/o "tricking" the sensor.  My I thought all FS have a "SEAL" button.

My first FS lasted approxiimately 15 years till the motor died.  My current is the "upright" version & is approximately 9 or 10 yrs old.  Both w/a "SEAL" button.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I have a Seal A Meal unit that I just love. I keep it tucked away in a cabinet and its slim design doesn't take up much space. Use it on a regular basis and until recently had no problem finding Seal A Meal bags in different sizes. Now those are hard to find so I switched to a different brand of bag I don't like as well. I don't "do" the rolls but prefer a variety of bag sizes for my needs.

Honored Contributor

I've always found Foodsaver to be a good brand.  I have a couple of those (must have a back up).

One year Amazon had a deal I could not resist on a LEM machine.  Now, these cost more than FS but I could afford it at that time and it was a great purchase.  I've had it for quite a few years and at one point it stopped sealing.  It would sukk out the air but not seal.  Since, as I mentioned, it wasn't cheap I decided to call them to see if there was something I could do to fix it.

The guy verified that it was out of warranty (knew that, but it was nice of him to check) and he stayed on the phone with  me while I took it apart (no major deal at all - just a few skrews) and we found that it was exactly what he thought, initially, it was.   He said they have a kit that you can get with the parts to fix it.  I even asked him if, when I get the parts and forgot what to do, I could call again and get help making it work.  He said no problem.

Fortunately, I was able to fix it and it continues to work really well.  I always appreciate when a company has good, caring, and knowledgeable customer service.

One thing I'm bummed about is that it got way harder to get 6" rolls.  I can get 6" pre-cuts, and do, but I also like to have rolls.  I stocked up on the rolls and am good now, as well as the bas and the other 2 sizes (8" & 11").

As for bags/rolls - I have a lot of FS brand and also found the Weston brand to be good quality.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

I have always purchased FoodSavers.   My current one has to be at least 10 years old.   Love it!

@Boehm Collector : Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am carefully reading all the reviews and features of each model.

Honored Contributor

FWIW....

I also use my FS to "reseal" snack bags like potato chips, pretzels, etc., etc., etc. if I don't eat all in one seating.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I buy all my meats at Costco and use a Food Saver I also bought from them. Works great.

@Meowingkitty : Thank you. DH is retired military and we can shop the commissary and normally make special trips to purchase a variety of meats.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Some Food Saver models seem to last longer than others. Check the ratings for current models from people that have had theirs for many months or a year or two. 

@Mindy D : Thank you. Hoping that Amazon will offer a good deal. I checked and signed up with Food Saver and they have some on sale and sent coupon for 15 % off.