Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you use a dehydrator? For what?

@AnnMarie-1

There are times when I need to slip the skins from the tomatoes, if I'm making puree or vegetable soup for the freezer, for example. I use those skins, lay them onto the dehydrator trays and dry them. Once the skins are completely dry, then I'll throw them into my grinder and grind them to a powder. I can also use a food processor, but the powder won't be really powdery; it will have (what looks like) wee little squares of tomato. Still perfectly fine to use and it still makes sauce. You can still sprinkle it into soups and stews, etc.

I have an old Cuisinart coffee grinder that I use for grinding spices to make my own rubs. It doesn't hold a lot of skins, but I've used the grinder for making tomato powder. Most often, though, I use my food processor.

You can buy tomato powder at places like The Spice House in Chicago and that's where I got the idea. I figured I'd give it a shot. I like using it, so it works well for me. I keep it in a pint Mason jar in my pantry. I have also sprinkled my tomato powder into homemade bread as I've mixed it up in my mixer.

You know, now that I'm thinking, I wonder if I could add some green/red pepper chips to the powder, for a bit of extra flavor? I may have to try that!

If you think you would enjoy using your dehydrator, I think it's worth a shot for you. I had five trays and added two more because I use the dehydrator that much.

The dried pineapple is delicous! Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I bought one for my MIL but she never used it so I got it back and I hardly used it. Got rid of it finally. Just don't see me getting into that again. My fam doesn't like dried fruit much and altho the beef jerky would be interesting, don't think I'll buy one. I do dry my excess herbs but use the mirco wave for that.

Trusted Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@AnnMarie-1

Dehydrating fruit intensifies the sugars and makes the more in calories and carbs.

Once you dehydrate your fruit and veggies they are processed.

Thanks Hopi, I knew it intensifies the sugar in fruit, maybe I should re-think my purchase as it would only be used for veggies....what do you mean by processed?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@AnnMarie-1

Dehydrating fruit intensifies the sugars and makes the more in calories and carbs.

Once you dehydrate your fruit and veggies they are processed.

Thanks Hopi, I knew it intensifies the sugar in fruit, maybe I should re-think my purchase as it would only be used for veggies....what do you mean by processed?

You have changed the original nutrients that being said eating more veggies is better for you anyway you look at it.  If you could try fresh smoothies or a pure juicer for one meal a day that helps with health benefits and weight control.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone, keep the comments & ideas coming, I flip back & forth on this one ha ha

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Thanks everyone, keep the comments & ideas coming, I flip back & forth on this one ha ha

@AnnMarie-1

I do not want to deter you because being a kitchen gadet addict it is always fun to try something new. There is alot of prep time with dehydrators.  I just stay away from dried fruits because of the high caloric intake. They have a saying that no one ever got fat from eating fresh fruit.  I have read some articles on baked apples (crock pot) where they say the pectin is enhanced and makes the apple easier to digest so it is excellent way to eat fruit but once I do that I except crust, granola or ice cream on it. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Yes. for all my raw recipes that require "cooking"....I use a Sedona and love it.  It is a staple along with a high powered blender.  A staple that I make in the dehydrator is kale chips ...totally decadent and very creamy.  Nonvegans love them.  I would only spring for a dehydrator if you are dedicated to a lifestyle that supports the use.  It is pricey and takes up space in the kitchen.  For me, it is an essential.  If I was deciding to buy one, I would reflect on the types of foods that I eat.  If I would use it only on a rare occasion I would probably pass.  You might want to google foods to make in a dehydrator to test the waters.  Have fun and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Someone gave me one and I don't eat dried fruit!  

Anyone is welcome to it!

Respected Contributor

While jerky taste good I wouldn't call it a healthy snack.

Mine is a magicmill, I don't think they're even in business anymore, but my wheat grinder is the same brand.

Any kind of vegetables for soups.   My brother does tons of onions and stores them in jars.    I've blended tomatoes and cooked them down for a day and put them in trays and dehydrated them.   Those go into jars as well.   Very handy.    Fruit leather is always good to me.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I made raw almonds tossed in Tamari. That's it. Super yummy snack!