Honored Contributor

Re: Do you sort your beans before cooking?

That was one of my jobs growing up and just always have done it.

My Step-Mom was selling produce and such from her families farm many years ago with her own Mom at the Farmer's Market. When she got home she noticed her wedding ring from my Dad was missing. She figured it fell off when she was bagging someone's beans or such.

Nice surprise when that bag of whatever was sorted by the person who bought it. It was about 30 years ago but she still gets sick to her stomach when she thinks about it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I bet a lot of accountants do.

Frequent Contributor

I sort them. I am from the Midwest.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your posts and interesting stories.

Honored Contributor

I didn't use to, but after biting into a bad bean, I do now! Also, I have got rocks in many generic brands!! Mostly I buy organic and higher quality beans and rice. They are usually sorted pretty well. However, I did have occasion to buy the generic and bulk beans in a pinch a couple times! What a difference the better beans are. The generic beans are not uniform size like the better beans, they also contained more dirt, rocks and bad beans. This was just in December, so I know they don't clean all beans!

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 Sister Golden Hair said:

Sister,

I had laugh a bit when you said, "My Mother taught me to pour the beans out on the counter"

Did your mom call it the "Bean counter", LOL! Maybe that's when they invented the word bean counter!

I think the antibiotics are getting to me, I have been ill. LOL!

Honored Contributor

shoekitty{#emotions_dlg.wub} {#emotions_dlg.lol} I guess that did sound a bit silly. Glad I didn't have to count all those beans because my Father loved brown beans and ham with cornbread so we had that meal once a week.

Sorry you are feeling bad, hope you feel better soon.

Super Contributor

I was taught as a child to always sort beans and lentils - in fact, that was usually my "job" - so I still do it. Don't find nearly as many little stone bits or shriveled beans as I did back then, but there are still a few.

Honored Contributor

The directions say to sort and I do. I have found rocks, before. BYE THE WAY, NEVER TASTE BEANS UNTIL FULLY COOKED. THEY ARE TOXIC, WHEN UNDERCOOKED OR RAW. Additionally, never add vinegar or any acid until your beans are already soft enough for you. Vinegar will stop the softening, if you add it early in the cooking, you'll end up with hard beans.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/1/2015 shoekitty said:
On 4/1/2015 Sister Golden Hair said:

Sister,

I had laugh a bit when you said, "My Mother taught me to pour the beans out on the counter"

Did your mom call it the "Bean counter", LOL! Maybe that's when they invented the word bean counter!

I think the antibiotics are getting to me, I have been ill. LOL!

LOL...That's so funny!!! Made me think of a joke. What do you get if you eat more than 239 beans? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hope you feel better, Shoekitty.

Member Since 11/20/2008