Super Contributor

Re: Do you say Supermarket or Grocery Store?

Grocery store, or sometimes the store.

Esteemed Contributor

If you're really watching retro TV from the 1950's and 1960's they usually say grocery store. Dobie Gillis's parents ran a grocery store--not a supermarket. The place was called Gillis Groceries. Alice Kramden and Laura Petrie never go to the supermarket. Peter (the houseboy on Bachelor Father) and but it's a big multi-aisled store which sells more than grocery. Carol Brady goes to the supermarket, but she's late 60s/early 70s.

In response to the question I usually say grocery store because when I was growing up in the 1950s to mid-1960s that's what the local independent corner markets were called. In those days most grocery stores were local independents. The only stores we called supermarket was a giant national chain like A&P. The term supermarket came to be because those stores sold everything ... food, produce, meat, personal care items, household supplies, and so on. Grocery stores only sold food and beverage. Some didn't even sell meat. You went rounded out the shopping by going to specialty stores... drugstore, hardware, butcher shop, bakery, etc.

Honored Contributor

Wow I'm the only one that says supermarket. I think of supermarket as a larger store and grocery store as the small store with 2 or 3 aisles. I call Trader Joe's and Whole Foods by name.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:

Grocery store, or sometimes the store.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

For us ""THE"" store = grocery store. No particular reason I guess.

Super Contributor

Grocery store.
Super Contributor

Neither. I say the food store or the name of the store - King Kullen, Uncle Giuseppe's, Stop & Shop, etc.

Respected Contributor

I just say the name of the business.....Safeway, Hy Vee, Wamart, etc......never called it the Supermarket in my life.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 nikkimom said:

grocery store and mostly ¨the store¨

Yep! It's "the store" for groceries, specific name for anything else. I'm going to CVS, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Supermarket or sometimes just market.