Frequent Contributor

Do you rinse your corned beef off

Smilebefore cooking or put it in as is with the juice from the bag? I was reading different recipes and they all varied. Just wondering what other people do.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you rinse your corned beef off

Yes, I rinse mine first. Then I put in my slow cooker along with 1/2 c. red wine vinegar and 1-1/2 c. water or dark beer along with bay leaves, garlic cloves, peppercorns. I just made one and had rueben sandwiches last night!

Honored Contributor

Yes. In fact, I not only rinse it, I then bring it to a boil then toss that first pot of water. It gets some of the excess salt out of it. I then bring the corned beef to a boil with all the seasonings, and continue with my recipe.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 faeriemoon said:

Yes. In fact, I not only rinse it, I then bring it to a boil then toss that first pot of water. It gets some of the excess salt out of it. I then bring the corned beef to a boil with all the seasonings, and continue with my recipe.

We went out for corned beef and cabbage and it was like eating a salt lick, I was so disappointed, it goes to show corned beef is not an easy thing to cook

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I rise it well!

Frequent Contributor

SmileThanks! I will rinse it off. It's my first time cooking one. I read bring to a boil and then simmer 50 minutes per lb, For a 3 lb, add potatoes and carrots after 2 hours then add cabbage for the final 15 min. Hope it works, thanks again.

Trusted Contributor

Yes..........rinse until I can hold on to it with my hands, then add to a vinegar water to cook........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Never, while I do pat them dry I've never thought they were that salty. Now I can't eat a brined turkey.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

I rinse every type of meat off once I remove it from the package - beef, pork, chicken, everything.

Frequent Contributor

I always rinse my corned beef well before placing it in the pressure cooker with 2 cups water and a tea-ball of the spice packet plus some Penzey's corned beef spices and Penzey's Pickling spices. A couple jiggers of Worcestershire sauce and set it on high for 60 minutes. Once done, I remove and tent it while I cook my cabbage, carrots and potatoes for 6 minutes on high.

Less than 1 1/2 hours start to finish and your eating a tasty meal.

Enjoy!

Camo