Frequent Contributor

Do you reseal your granite countertops??

We've recently remodeled our kitchen; we put in granite counter tops and backsplashes and love the look. Consumer Reports says the only problem with granite is that it needs to be resealed. I don't know if my granite tops were already sealed. If you reseal yours, how often do you do it, and what do you use? Thanks all. ~Adele

Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you reseal your granite countertops??

Our counters were purchased form a local mason/headstone craftsman. We never need to seal ours and we were told we can use any cleaner. They are fourteen years old and look like they did the day they were delivered. Absolutely no maintenance with the exception of wiping/cleaning.

Contributor

I had my granite in since 2000 counter tops& backsplash . We had a contract for 3 yrs for waning& polishing. We used it about 4 times. Over the years it has dulled. I looked at many products, pretty expensive, then I was in a local store & found a three pack of granite care. 18$ for 3 cans ,clean, seal, polish. We did have to remove grease behind stove which wasn't easy as u only saw spots from certain angle. Well we use RX rock doctor stone care system. It came out better than professionals. The last step polish u can use between full cleanings . They have a website I just saw on the can www.rockdoctor.net . We do a full job now only once a year since we went from 6 to just DH&I. Although states can be used on marble the cans in large letters state granite. It does dull over time DH thinks not but I do make hi use a cutting board. Friends came over the first week & one dropped a full bottle of wine on it that left a small chip. Since thru color it wasn't bad but had no shine. I put veg oil omit several times . Today I have to really look hard to even find it. The polish you can use weekly when new sorry I didn't know about this when my counters were new. Do use cutting board . If you have children "messy fingers I would wipe down and polish weekly after you think it is dulling. Also try not to leave standing water on it. After DH finished I just take a paper towel and wipe up any water spots. I thought the chip and dulling was horrible but this product does the trick. If anything happens it is not the end of the world. I think it may depend if you got light or dark stone&how much you use the kitchen. Small nicks just put small drop oil for awhile. We spent so much on that cleaning contract a waste of $. I have been very happy with Rock Doctor 3 steps. Hope this information helps from a veteran granite kitchen owner. Enjoy your new kitchen, have good times & enjoy. Never thought I would survive that first mishap but did. If anything " BIG" ever happens that's when u call the professionals .
Honored Contributor

This is why I got quartz.

It never dulls, never needs any sealing or special treatment and is just as strong as granite.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to call the company where I purchased the granite and ask my questions,too. The owner was a very nice guy. Appreciate your help.

P.S. I don't do much cooking at all in my kitchen, and we've been careful to use a cutting board and not to scrape metal objects across the surface. So far so good, but it was installed last September, so I thought I'd ask your ideas on this. Adele

Valued Contributor

Granite countertops should be resealed every 2-3 years. There are so many great alternatives to choose from that don't require maintenance like granite does -- quartz, Corian and even concrete. I figure by the time we do remodel that granite will be out of style and something else will be the "it" countertop.
Super Contributor

"To determine if it's time to reseal a countertop, dribble some water onto the countertop. If it beads up, great. If the water soaks into the granite, it's time to reseal"

Frequent Contributor

I've had mine for 8 or so years. Love them! Blue pearl. I just sealed them today as a matter of fact. I usually seal about every 9 months. It's really easy. Just spray on sealer (foams up like bathroom cleaner) let soak in for a couple minutes and then wipe dry.

I have used rock doctor and another brand of sealer from local hardware store. I use granite polish about once a week when I'm doing a thorough kitchen cleaning. Otherwise they get soap and water or Clorox wipes. We are seriously hard on them. They look brand new despite surviving a lot of abuse (teenagers, large family, lots of cooking and baking).

Honored Contributor

Ooooh I have blue pearl in one of my bathrooms! It's so gorgeous! I have black galaxy in my kitchen here and also at our cottage. Our installers sealed mine before they left after installing them. Then they left me several bottles of a sealer, polish and cleaner. I really can't understand those that gripe about sealing granite. Its absolutely NO issue with me. I wipe my granite daily anyway so whats the difference if I wipe the sealer on every year or so? I had the choice of getting quartz. It was a lot more expensive and it was a man made material. I wanted all natural stone so that's what I got! Love my granite!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I just had Blue Pearl installed in my kitchen in May. Installers used some sort of sealer that says on the can it is supposed to be good for 15 years but they also told me to just use the beaded water test and I can seal it on my own if it appears that it is getting dull. They told me to wait until the next day before wiping it down but I don't see it as being a big deal if I have to reseal. I stressed more over selection of a backsplash to go with it and the store owner steered me toward a few selections - and I went with Smoky Stiletto. It is beautiful together with the Blue Pearl. I am more than pleased with all of it.