Super Contributor

Do you really need a special sprayer for air fryers?

I have read reviews for the 'special' air fryer spray bottle sold on QVC and other places online, saying any basic sterilized spray bottle will work. Thoughts..? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you really need a special sprayer for air fryers?

I find it very helpful when preparing food for the fryer.  Can you live without it, yes, but it makes it easier to coat whatever you are putting into the fryer.

Occasional Contributor

My air fryer works fine with a $2 spray bottle from a local Mart. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I must be missing something.  I don't use spray, just stick the food in.  I would think any sprayer would work for a light coating.

Honored Contributor

I use silicone basting brush for olive oil

Honored Contributor

You might want to make sure the plastic is food-grade.  Beyond that, any sprayer that actually works will do.  I don't care for the big EVO spray bottle they sell on the Q.  It's just too big.  I use a Pampered Chef one that you pump air into to turn it into an aeorsol, but that's just because we already had it.  And, they now make pre-filled sprays in the oil section of the grocery store.  I use that too, you just need to make sure that it is 100% oil with no propellants or non-stick ingredients. 

The main complaint I see with a lot of generic sprayers is that they don't work so great with oil.  Oil is thicker than water, so I guess it clogs up the sprayer and you end up getting a stream instead of a spray.

Honored Contributor

I only spray French fries with vegetable oil, and use a WalMart canned spray.  

Esteemed Contributor

I put the items in a BAGGIES plastic (cheapies) with a little oil.  Works without a mess and cleanup.

Super Contributor

GREAT tips and suggestions!! Thanks for all the replies!! 

Valued Contributor

@Zhillswrote:

I put the items in a BAGGIES plastic (cheapies) with a little oil.  Works without a mess and cleanup.

@ZhillsBRILLIANT!!  Why didn't I think of that?  I've been using my hand to rub a little oil on or in a small dish to drizzle.  The baggies are a great idea.  Thank you!!