Respected Contributor

Re: Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

The Instant Pot is great for cooking grains.  I've cooked steel cut oats, farro & quinoa. 

Quinoa is super easy:

1 part quinoa (rinsed well to get rid of bitterness)

1 part water

Set IP for 1 minute at high pressure & then let it do a natural pressure release when done.  The quinoa always comes out perfect.

Contributor

The crock pot is a slow cooker only.  The Instant Pot (and variations) is multifunctional: pressure cooker, crockpot, steamer, and most have presets for soups/stews, chicken, rice, etc.  Very versatile!I 

Honored Contributor

No, I don’t, and don’t feel I’m missing out.  I bought one several years ago, thinking I needed the latest thing, but the box sat there unopened for quite some time so I ended up donating it to a fundraiser auction.  I realized that for just the two of us and me being home all the time, there was no cooking rush. Since the Covid shutdown it’s been even easier with DH home. The meals I make these days are ready rather quickly without an IP.   I still have a slow cooker that I use on occasion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been working at home since March so I have plenty of time to cook but would rather not, so I love our IP.  Meats are more tender IMO.  Rice, hard boiled eggs - all great.  Last night I made a ham & bean soup in the IP with dried beans.  Came out perfect in 1 hour.

ETA - it's just the 2 of us, we have the 6qt (bought on Amazon)

Trusted Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

I am taking a plant based diet course (think vegan, whole foods), and the instructor loves the Instant Pot -- especially for making beans, soups, etc.

I like to cook, but live alone.  With COVID, I don't even have visitors over.  So, I'm not keen on making tons of food (limited space in my refrigerator/freezer), and not a huge eater.

I have and like a crockpot, but would consider the instant pot as a potential birthday or Christmas present from me to me.  The instructor suggested the 6 quart even if you are only feeding one or two.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Linda

@LindaLatte 

An Instant Pot is a brand of digital/electric pressure cooker. I cook mostly for two or one, and I have a smaller model--4 quarts, I think. It's a good brand and I've been using it for well over ten years now. 

I make soup often. Sometimes I'll make broth from a whole chicken or something like that, and it's excellent. But messy, of course. Other times I use broth and whatever other things I have. 

I also make rice and my risotto is foolproof.

Anything you cook with some water will work in the cooker, but I especially appreciate things like pot roast and smothered pork chops. And I use it for root veggies like beets--so easy compared to a pot on the stove. Oh, and it has a slow cooker function on it, so I got rid of my slow cooker.

Nobody with a stove and a pot NEEDS a pressure cooker, and it takes some learning, but it's often out at my house and I like it. 

Respected Contributor

I have several Crock Pots in different sizes and like them. 

I did not like my InstaPot and gave it to a friend. 

There's a learning curve depending on what type of food is being made.  I am always cooking different foods and don't have time to learn them all.  I didn't use the InstaPot much anyway.  I don't miss it.

The cleanup was time consuming also.  I know people that really like the pot, but for me it's overrated.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I did own an instant pot but gave it away.  I could never get the hang of it, so many buttons LOL, and was a headache for me.  Now I will admit that when I was married 45 years ago, I received a pressure cooker and it scared me to death.  I gave it to my MIL.  Along these lines, I also must admit that I am not a fan of the kitchen.  So, don't go off on my experiences.  DIL does a great job with the instant pot.

Valued Contributor

I only cook for one (mostly) or two and I LOVE my instant pot.  I have a 6 qt. and, in my opinion, it's better to have a bigger one than a smaller one just in case you ever need more room for something in the future.   Once I got the hang of it I now use it for everything.  Rice has never been easier and I never make it the old way anymore.  Veggies are done in minutes, taste better than steamed on the stove, and I only have one pot to clean.  I use mine several times a week, especially if I cook once and eat twice.  I highly recommend getting one.  Good luck!  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again everyone.  I have decided that I will be buying a 6 Quart Instant Pot when my budget allows.

Linda

Valued Contributor

I own a 3, 6 and 8qt Instant Pots, however, my pride and joy and the star of my kitchen is my 8qt Ninja Foodi.  I use this machine daily, it has the best air fryer feature and I love the saute feature also, not to mention the pressure cook function.  It is pricey, but, for me worth every penney!  My IP's are now lonely sitting on the pantry shelf!  And yes, I am a known appliance and kitchen gadget addict! lol

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you