Honored Contributor

Re: Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I've been working at home since March so I have plenty of time to cook but would rather not, so I love our IP.  Meats are more tender IMO.  Rice, hard boiled eggs - all great.  Last night I made a ham & bean soup in the IP with dried beans.  Came out perfect in 1 hour.

ETA - it's just the 2 of us, we have the 6qt (bought on Amazon)

@Mj12, Would you be willing to tell how to do the ham and bean soup? I have been dusting Woman Surprised my IP for almost a year.

Hi @tiny 2 sure - it is the easiest thing to cook IMO.  I buy the package of spiral ham slices (approx 2 lbs) - toss that in the IP.  Rinse/sort 1 package of dried beans (you can use Northern or Pinto or anything) - then toss that in the IP.  Add water to cover the beans by approx. 2".  I did a manual cook for 40 minutes and for this I always do the natural release.  If I did a quick release I would have ham & beans on my ceiling.  I actually found the recipe from You Tube.  I'll find the link for you.

ETA - link:

https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/instant-pot-ham-beans/

Esteemed Contributor

That teapot sounds neat.  

a teapot that heats the water and brews tea and lifts the basket up so it doesn't over steep

Would you please share the brand name? 

Thanks.

Linda

Respected Contributor

@Mj12, Thank You so much. I will try it!!! Thanks for the link too.Heart

Honored Contributor

I still use an old school, pick the pressure amount, top of the stove pressure cooker!

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

That teapot sounds neat.  

a teapot that heats the water and brews tea and lifts the basket up so it doesn't over steep

Would you please share the brand name? 

Thanks.

Linda

@LindaLatte It is the Breville One Touch teamaker.  I got mine at Williams-Sonoma about 5 years and ued every discount, rebate and coupon I had! LOL!!!

They make a smaller version also now.  It does a. great job!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the information about the teapot.

Just FYI to all -- I went ahead and ordered the Instant Pot from Amazon.  Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Linda

Super Contributor

Cut the spaghetti squash in half, clean out the seeds and pulp.    Place the halved spaghetti squash on the trivet.  Add 1 cup of water.  If your spaghetti squash is 3 lbs or less cook on high presssure for 7 minutes.  After cooking do a quick release.  Recently I cooked a whole spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot,  I cut slits in the entire squash and added 1 cup of water.   This cooked well but after cooking I had to clean out the seeds and pulp from the cooked squash.  I prefer cutting up and cleaning the squash before cooking.  I always Google recipes for cook times for what I am cooking in the Instant Pot.  Hope this helps!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tallgal wrote:

Cut the spaghetti squash in half, clean out the seeds and pulp.    Place the halved spaghetti squash on the trivet.  Add 1 cup of water.  If your spaghetti squash is 3 lbs or less cook on high presssure for 7 minutes.  After cooking do a quick release.  Recently I cooked a whole spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot,  I cut slits in the entire squash and added 1 cup of water.   This cooked well but after cooking I had to clean out the seeds and pulp from the cooked squash.  I prefer cutting up and cleaning the squash before cooking.  I always Google recipes for cook times for what I am cooking in the Instant Pot.  Hope this helps!

Thanks @Tallgal.  I'll definitely try this. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I never really got the hang of the pressue cookers.  I have a small CE one and I'll cook potatoes or boiled eggs in it, but that's about it so far.  Mostly, I use a slow cooker for chili.  I figured out that when you cook meats and veggies together in a crock pot they all end up tasting the same and I don't like that, so I'm afraid the same would happen with a pressure cooker.   

For me, the air fryer and a grill are kitchen essentials, but I'm not eating a plant based diet and have no plans to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]