amazon-photos-shared-media7698970140428346156.jpg

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

@Chicagoan wrote:

My Pride and Joy...

amazon-photos-shared-media7698970140428346156.jpg

Wow, that's big enough to have its own room in the house! Smiley Happy  @Chicagoan 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 ... Yes she is huge, hence her name is Big Bertha! 😂. I like keeping it on a stool so I can look down in it.  I live alone, no little children running around, so being lower than the counter is not a safety issue for me!  It is a magnificent machine, everyone that I know who has one feel the same way I do about their Foodi!

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I've been working at home since March so I have plenty of time to cook but would rather not, so I love our IP.  Meats are more tender IMO.  Rice, hard boiled eggs - all great.  Last night I made a ham & bean soup in the IP with dried beans.  Came out perfect in 1 hour.

ETA - it's just the 2 of us, we have the 6qt (bought on Amazon)

@Mj12, Would you be willing to tell how to do the ham and bean soup? I have been dusting Woman Surprised my IP for almost a year.

Contributor

I love a really big instapot.  The best thing ever.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I've been working at home since March so I have plenty of time to cook but would rather not, so I love our IP.  Meats are more tender IMO.  Rice, hard boiled eggs - all great.  Last night I made a ham & bean soup in the IP with dried beans.  Came out perfect in 1 hour.

ETA - it's just the 2 of us, we have the 6qt (bought on Amazon)

@Mj12 HA!  I made beans too yesterday--small lima beans--the flat white ones.  They were wonderful.  I made enough for two meals for 2 in our 3 quart IP.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting this @LindaLatte ! I have an IP that I bought close to 2 years ago and used precisely once. I was looking at it earlier in the week (as it sits in its box on a shelf taking up space) and was contemplating giving it to a family that would appreciate it. 

I think my biggest issue with it is the space it takes up. I would never use it enough to rationalize giving it designated counter space, so whenever I think about it, I don't feel like the hassle of getting it down and back up on the pantry shelf. 

I typically cook 2 separate dinners a night (as I am a vegetarian). After reading these posts, I'm going to re-explore some vegetarian IP recipies and give it one more try! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch I understand what you are saying.  I think one of the best things for me is you can start it and walk away and it quits and keeps food warm.

I have found that retired and just two of that is the biggest convenience factor--set it and walk away--for a lot of things because before I was in the kitchen long enough to watch a pot but now the phone rings, someone comes to the door or I simply FORGET! Woman Embarassed

In the last probably years I have bought or been gifted with: A Vitamix you can set and walk away from; a teapot that heats the water and brews tea and lifts the basket up so it doesn't over steep; and the 3 and 6 qt. instant pots that we use all the time.   We have so enjoyed not having to "watch pot!" 

Honored Contributor

Yes---I have 2 IP pressure cookers--a 6qt and a 3 qt as well as an IP airfryer---I use them everyday depending on my menu--love the little one more than I thought   I would and the airfryer is the best. 

OP--consider the small one-----was about $60. Woud be the perfect size for one or 2. 

Honored Contributor

I've considered it, but crock pot and pressure cooker I already have.  There's two of us, but read up on it, and see what it does, see if you really need it, or can use what you already have.