Esteemed Contributor

Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

I am taking a plant based diet course (think vegan, whole foods), and the instructor loves the Instant Pot -- especially for making beans, soups, etc.

I like to cook, but live alone.  With COVID, I don't even have visitors over.  So, I'm not keen on making tons of food (limited space in my refrigerator/freezer), and not a huge eater.

I have and like a crockpot, but would consider the instant pot as a potential birthday or Christmas present from me to me.  The instructor suggested the 6 quart even if you are only feeding one or two.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

Curious to read the responses. I love my crockpot and have wondered if an instapot is much different. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte There are two of us and we use both of them all the time--the 3 and the 6 qt.  I'd find a great sale and maybe start with the 3 quart to test drive one?

Prime day is coming up and sales, so do research and find one you like!  Our 6 qt. with the handles on the inner pot is great because it is easy to lift the pot out.  It is the Duo Evo Plus I think!  

We use it for meats, baking potatoes quick, steaming veggies, and boiled eggs--they always peel!!!!!  Sweet potatoes and big old squash cook quickly, as do soups.  

They are safe and we've never found them scary.  Good luck and happy hunting!  

Esteemed Contributor

I have one, and I use it often. It saves a of of time. I make chicken soup in 20 minutes, and it is delicious. I make other things too, because it is a time saver. I do like the slow cooker function for chicken, because you don't have to use as much liquid. 

Only you can decide if it is the right cooking vessel for you.

Super Contributor

I have one and use it often.  

You have to look over Instant Pot recipes because sometimes they involve more work than making the same dish in a crockpot or on the stove. It will say saute this, then add this item, bring up to pressure, then release pressure, add this ingredient and so on. The time it takes for the pot to come up to pressure has to be included in your total cooking time. But there are some recipes, mostly those that involve cooking meat or chicken, that saves you a lot of time.

I have one go-to recipe.   I saute a couple strips of chopped bacon, add two large frozen chicken breasts, cup of broth and package of ranch dry dressing.  Cook for 15 minutes then remove 2/3 cup broth, shred chicken and add 4 oz cream cheese.  It is so good put on top of a baked potato and the leftovers chilled make a wonderful chicken salad sandwich.

Honored Contributor

I live alone and never feed anyone other than myself.  I own and use a 6qt pressure cooker.  Wouldn't buy or want one any smaller.  You can cook a small quantity in a 6qt but can't cook a lot in a 3qt.  I like to prepare enough for several meals to eat (hate to cook) and maybe freeze a couple of meals.

In a pressure cooker, you can prepare a meal fast, cook a tough cut of meat so it becomes tender and with the new multi function machines, you can do slow cooking.  I got rid of my crockpot.  I love the way pressure cooker food tastes and I live the ease of use and easy clean up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

ave Re: Do you own/use an Instant Pot?

Yes I have one and it saves great time Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I love my Instant Pot!   I purchased mine from QVC a few years ago.  I own a 6 qt pot.   There are only 2 of us.   I use my pot frequently.   So glad I made this purchase.  I typically use the manual pressure setting.  I have made pulled pork and chicken, cooked a whole chicken, cooked a turkey breast, made soups, cooked a whole spaghetti squash.   

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone!  Sounds like it might be worth buying.

LInda

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

I am taking a plant based diet course (think vegan, whole foods), and the instructor loves the Instant Pot -- especially for making beans, soups, etc.

I like to cook, but live alone.  With COVID, I don't even have visitors over.  So, I'm not keen on making tons of food (limited space in my refrigerator/freezer), and not a huge eater.

I have and like a crockpot, but would consider the instant pot as a potential birthday or Christmas present from me to me.  The instructor suggested the 6 quart even if you are only feeding one or two.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Linda

instant pot better than a crockpot

PrimeDay coming up I saw one deal  and it might be a good time to buy one.

we love ours