Respected Contributor

Do you own an electric kettle?

I had an electric kettle that I never used and gave to a coworker because she liked to make tea at work. 

I haven't had the need of a kettle but, lately, I've been thinking it would greatly speed up the process of boiling water to pour into a pot on the stove, when I want to boil something. 

I have a glass top stove and I was trying to bring water to a boil to cook some shrimp for just a couple of minutes, to add to a salad.  I don't know if my stove is just faulty or if all glass top stoves are this way but it takes FOREVER for a medium-sized pot half full of water to come to a boil. I thought maybe a kettle would speed things up. Thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you own an electric kettle?

I've had one for 6 months. It does boil water very fast. I like hot water and lemon. I have a gas stove so the kettle is not a necessity and takes up counter space. It was a gift and I highly doubt I would have bought one with my own $$.

Good luck with your decision. They are pretty cheap

Honored Contributor

Microwave is quicker.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have one and I love it. It boils water very fast. I use it a lot during the summer to make pitchers of Iced Coffee. (I use instant coffee to make my Iced Coffee). And in the winter I use it for instant hot cocoa.

My stovetop heats water fast, so I really don't need it to boil water for pasta or shrimp etc. 

Super Contributor

Yes, and I love it and use it daily.  I drink matcha tea which is best brewed at a specific temp, so I wanted a kettle I could set to that temp.  I don't usually have it more than half full so it heats to 176 in probably 2 minutes, though I've never actually timed it.

Here it is:

Capture.JPG

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl @I have one and love it to.  I don't own a microwave -never have

Honored Contributor

I have a Pioneer Woman electric kettle.  It does work quickly but I rarely use it.  I can get my water for hot tea right out of my Keurig.  I do nasal irrigation twice a day and need distilled or boiled & cooled water for that. I boil a stock pot of water as needed and fill a gallon bottle to draw from.  I can't remember the last time I plugged in my kettle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have both an electric kettle and a stainless steel stove top kettle. 
The stove top kettle takes a long time to boil water. So I use the electric one 99% of the time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have a Kitchen Aid Pro Line and I absolutely love it. I am a tea drinker...all day, any weather.  It is cordless. I bought the cherry red. This kettle is double walled which means it's doubly insulated and keeps water hotter longer and the outside of the kettle isn't burning. I'm accident prone in the Kitchen so this one is for me. It was expensive, but it's very, fast. Great to cut down on your cooking time when boiling is necessary. Kitchen Aid stands by their products 

I purchased the Ninja tea kettle here on the Q, and returned it because the metal got ridiculously hot and it was scary to me. It was also fast boiling but the scorching metal was the deal breaker. I'm  very happy with this purchase. Look into this one K.A. I'm really pleased with it.

@Texasmouse  The Jason Wu tea kettle is on sale at QVC. Check it out 40 bucks.

Honored Contributor

I am a big tea drinker but never owned an electric kettle, just stove top ones.

Red White and Blue Happy 4th Thumbnail Showcase