Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you own a poached egg pan?

That was bichon_emma that posted the WS cooker and it does look like a handy thing at a reasonable price.

I cook mine in the microwave using the silicone pots by Mark Charles Misilli item K37104

http://www.qvc.com/Set-of-4-12-oz.-Oval-Silicone-Pots-By-MarkCharles-Misilli.product.K37104.html?sc=...

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

On 1/14/2015 Havarti said:
On 1/13/2015 forrestwolf said:

This to me is the ultimate in easy, and you can make many at a time, and refrigerate until ready to use, and then stick back in simmering water briefly to warm them up.......Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRqG9Apt6g

I'd be worried about the plastic wrap leaching chemicals into the egg with this apporach. I know some people don't think it is a problem and I do know Saran Wrap brand is best when it comes to heating plastic wrap, but it is still not a chance I would take when there are other easy approaches to use without a chance of risk. JMHO

You dont want to cook your food with plastic and microwaves. Most people are ignorant about the danger and continue to call you tinfoil if you point this out. I prefer my food free of plastic and I have moved more to stovetop too in the past year as I have read many science backed article about how microwaves destroy the nutritional value of your food. I dont even trust the plastic approved pans. My food tastes better cooked in pan stovetop too.

Respected Contributor

I don't eat them very often so I have never had a pan. I only make them when I don't feel well, mostly an upset stomach. Poached eggs in milk over toast. Was always something my Mom made for my Dad when I was little. LOL, at the time I didn't realize it was for a hangover. So it's still my comfort food.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

On 1/13/2015 forrestwolf said:

This to me is the ultimate in easy, and you can make many at a time, and refrigerate until ready to use, and then stick back in simmering water briefly to warm them up.......Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRqG9Apt6g

Thanks for sharing! Interesting. It seems kind of like a soft-boiled egg, since the water doesn't touch it. The fact that you can prepare lots ahead of time is the plus to me!

Valued Contributor

On 1/13/2015 lacey1 said:

I have a cheapy, plastic thing that will make 2 eggs in the microwave in a minute. Very comparable to poached and super easy/fast.

Is this the one you have? It is $3.99 @ Bed Bath & Beyond.

For "gadget" lovers, if you use their coupon, it will only be $3.19...ha!

I'm going there today for something else for my Mom, so I will check to see if they have it in the store while I'm there.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/152317-prepworks-meals-minutes-microwave-egg-poacher.html

Trusted Contributor

I'm sure if you search the internet, you'll find a number of poached egg pans for sale. For me, no thanks. I am at a point where I'm avoiding "special use" kitchen gadgets and appliances as much as possible and sticking with basic, versatile, multi-use items. I can poach eggs in any skillet.......so I will.

Frequent Contributor

LOVE THE ONE FROM WILLIAM SONOMA BY CALPHALON. HAS FOUR POUCHER CUPS AND A GREAT PAN TO SIMMER THE WATER. NO STICKING AT ALL AND THE PAN IS GREAT FOR ANY OTHER COOKING AS WELL. GREAT FOR ALL EGGS! SCRAMBLED OR FRIED! COOKING VEGGIES IR MEAT. I REALLY LIKE THAT PURCHASE BECAUSE I GET SO MUCH USE OUT OF IT.
Valued Contributor

On 1/16/2015 debc said:

I don't eat them very often so I have never had a pan. I only make them when I don't feel well, mostly an upset stomach. Poached eggs in milk over toast. Was always something my Mom made for my Dad when I was little. LOL, at the time I didn't realize it was for a hangover. So it's still my comfort food.

That sounds sort of good with the milk, I could see some sugar and making a new type of french toast.

Respected Contributor

I've had one my entire life - grew up with them and own them. I bought one at Target and I'll never be without one. Mine is this brand, but just slightly different in that the handle is all silver. Love it and use it all the time. Nice bonus is when I'm not poaching eggs I can use the pan for other things.

Esteemed Contributor

After the water boils, I put in 4 eggs, for my husband and me - turn the heat down, and in 4 minutes it's perfect! I cover it after I put the eggs in.