Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you own a poached egg pan?

On 1/13/2015 Lynneuk said: I've posted this before but it is so easy and worth repeating. Put about a cup and a half of water in a bowl, crack two eggs into the water. Microwave for one minute 44 seconds and you have two perfect poached eggs. No appliances or pans to clean, just easy and quick.

Thanks for this! I will try it.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/13/2015 Lynneuk said: I've posted this before but it is so easy and worth repeating. Put about a cup and a half of water in a bowl, crack two eggs into the water. Microwave for one minute 44 seconds and you have two perfect poached eggs. No appliances or pans to clean, just easy and quick.

This is exactly what I do now - I used to have an electric egg poacher, but that method took longer and was just another gadget to have to store. Cooking them in the microwave allows me to cook it and eat it in the time it would have taken me to get the old cooker out and set up to go.

Note: I do put the knife or fork into the egg yolk before I cook it, otherwise you can hear it "pop" and sometimes makes a mess in the microwave.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

This to me is the ultimate in easy, and you can make many at a time, and refrigerate until ready to use, and then stick back in simmering water briefly to warm them up.......Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRqG9Apt6g

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

I do own one but I don't like it. The eggs stick. My mom's was better (metal pans--a Farberware.) I make poached eggs a lot (like my mom---she and I loved them for breakfast best of all eggs.)

So I break an egg into a custard cup and I have a high sided skillet (non stick) with water just at the simmer point. I dump the egg in by "rolling" it out of the cup, and do a second one, then pop on the skillet lid and set the heat on low. In about five minutes, I have the egg the way I like it (yolk just starting to set.) I test the yolk from time to time by tapping it with the back of a spoon. When it's not so liquidy, it's done. Then I lift them out with a slotted spatula, drain off the water and onto the plate they go.

Valued Contributor

Wow--First time being able to check back in tonight. So much poached egg love! Off to read.Smiley Happy tu!
Super Contributor

You don't need one. Simmer some water in a pot, add a little white vinegar to the water, slowly and gently crack the egg into the water. Gently lift it out with a slotted spoon when it's cooked.

Super Contributor

On 1/13/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/13/2015 Daysdee said:

<em>Had one when I was a kid. It was a very tiny pot with the holder for 1 egg and the cover. Used it a lot. Haven't seen one like that in years.</em>

I have one of those as well. My grandmother gave it to me, which makes me think of her every time I poach an egg.

I have one too, though I've lost the poaching insert. The pan comes in handy, though, if I just need to melt a little bit of butter.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't thought of this type of pan in years, but now I want one too. Nothing like a nice soft egg on toast for a quick meal.

Super Contributor

Ye I do, in fact have two. Bought one at a garage sale on one at a thrift store for $2.00. A spray od no stick and it works great, no sticking. Doing them in a pot of water left me with a little too much of a white poached egg.

Super Contributor

I don't have a pan but I do have an egg poacher....thing.... it goes right in the pan. I got it at wiliam sonoma $6.95 this style was recommend by Julia Child