Respected Contributor

Re: Do you own a poached egg pan?

My MOther cooked poached eggs in a trusty old iron frying pan filled with water - worked just great. I, however, bought a very inexpensive pan at WM - works like a charm. I also have the iron frying pans but the poacher is so much easier and easier to clean. Good luck to any and all who choose to buy a egg poacher - you willl never regret it.

Honored Contributor

Ours did five or six at a time. Also good for warming baby food!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a single pan and a 5 poached pan. both are still working fine.

Super Contributor

I do and I do not know what to poach. I bought it at Costco and its lovely, heavy and well made, I want to do something besides eggs. Ideas so far, salmon, thats it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2015 bichon_emma said:

I don't have a pan but I do have an egg poacher....thing.... it goes right in the pan. I got it at wiliam sonoma $6.95 this style was recommend by Julia Child

That's a great compromise between winging it yourself and a pan.

Once I learned the chef's method of poaching, I simply use it. The "fear" of dumping a raw egg in boiling water and getting the ragged edges went away once I realized that relatively fresh eggs and a tall-sided pan were the secret. The ragged bits actually fall away when you lift out the egg, and the shape is similar to your pretty little poacher unit.

The key to poached eggs is that the egg white (albumin) near the egg yolk is different than the watery stuff around it. The central white is very stiff and firms up into that classic shape on its own (as long as the egg isn't stale.) If you've fried eggs, you know what I mean. And of course, you can't have the water roiling--it has to be simmering just below the boiling point. I use a non-stick skillet--another trick.

Respected Contributor

i have one for the microwave-two eggs and it's ok-quick and easy. i have a 4 egg one for a frying pan-classic and good.

lately, i have used custard cups in my ninja 3/1, just put butter, eggs in cups and about 1 c. water into ninja and use stove top hi. watch it after about 4min, for the doneness you like.

Honored Contributor

I don't own one but I also don't think you need one.

I spray oil my small sauce pan, put in hot water, bring to boil, crack my egg(s) in. After they begin the process I help them along (just like my mother used to) by spoon scooping the water over the top of the egg(s) until done. Perfect poached eggs served on toast. YUM!

Valued Contributor

On 1/13/2015 JustJules said:

I would never pay $130 for a special pan to poach eggs when it is so easy to do in just a skillet of simmering water. The key is to have the water just simmering, not boiling. Add a little bit of vinegar to the water, stir it to create a vortex, carefully add the egg(s) and let it do it's thing until it's cooked.

I would never pay $130 for it, either! I was shocked by the price differences in these pans. I am not a huge kitchen gadget girl. My favorite kitchen gadget is my immersion blender, and besides the basics (stand mixer, processor, etc), my kitchen is fairly streamlined. But I think this pan may be a bit of a sentimental thing for me b/c it reminds me so much if my mother. Might be reason alone to purchase an inexpensive version of this pan.????
Trusted Contributor

On 1/13/2015 forrestwolf said:

This to me is the ultimate in easy, and you can make many at a time, and refrigerate until ready to use, and then stick back in simmering water briefly to warm them up.......Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRqG9Apt6g

I'd be worried about the plastic wrap leaching chemicals into the egg with this apporach. I know some people don't think it is a problem and I do know Saran Wrap brand is best when it comes to heating plastic wrap, but it is still not a chance I would take when there are other easy approaches to use without a chance of risk. JMHO

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

Havarti-That little cooker (the WS one) looks GREAT!

Thank you all for your continued replies. Smiley Happy