Regular Contributor

Re: Do you own a poached egg pan?

On 1/13/2015 glmama said: Hi Everyone, I love a poached egg. I remember my mother making them when I was little in an ancient poached egg pan. Flash forward many years and when I want one I just simply do it in a pan of low simmering water. However, I'm considering purchasing a poached egg pan. My youngest child loves eggs, too, so a pan might be a good idea. Anyone have one they love? I've seen them for as low as $25 and as high as $130 at a Williams-Sonoma. Any particular one you would suggest?? TIASmiley Happy

Do you remember the brand of the pan? I have an old (I mean old) pan from when I was a kid, it's a Wearever. It's four pieces, having two egg cups, still does the job.

Super Contributor

I bought a 4-egg poaching pan on Amazon. Inexpensive. I also have an antique single egg poacher.

Going to try the microwave method. I've always thought you had to pierce the yolks to prevent explosion. Is a poached egg the same as a shirred egg? Do baked eggs in muffin tins come out about the same as poached?

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have an older 3-piece poacher that I think is made out of aluminum or some type of metal. It has a small pan, the curved insert that you butter and add the egg, and the cover. Nothing fancy, but it works perfectly for me. Since it's used stove-top (not micro), I like that better, and also the round shape (as opposed to the oval in some cookers). I actually use the small pan quite often for melting butter that I need.

Occasional Contributor

The Rangemate sold on QVC does a great job of poaching eggs in the microwave and you can use it for a LOT of other uses as well.

Honored Contributor

I grabbed up the one my mother used to use. Has a 3 place for egg area. It used to be nonstick but we can spray it and it cooks in that little pan. I had looked for one at the store and what was out there, wasn't even close to this one either in ease of use or cost. So I'll keep this old one, it's just fine and mine.

Respected Contributor

Yes I do, and I have the latest Rangemate which comes with an insert pan which you can use to also poach eggs in the microwave.

It also has others uses too.

Results are delicious and fast.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. One for the stovetop and one for the microwave.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Had one when I was a kid. It was a very tiny pot with the holder for 1 egg and the cover. Used it a lot. Haven't seen one like that in years.

Respected Contributor

glmama-I remember those little pans, my Mom had one too! I don't know where it ended up?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/13/2015 Daysdee said:

Had one when I was a kid. It was a very tiny pot with the holder for 1 egg and the cover. Used it a lot. Haven't seen one like that in years.

I have one of those as well. My grandmother gave it to me, which makes me think of her every time I poach an egg.