Esteemed Contributor

Do you occasionally use Vinegar in your dishwasher?

I wasn't quite sure how to state this, so I apologize if it's confusing. My situation is that I've been noticing for the past month that wine glasses have become very cloudy with almost a green tint after running a normal cycle with my dishwasher. After a short search online, the suggestion was to soak the glasses with vinegar or use a cup of vinegar in the wash cycle for the wine glasses.

I filled 4 wine glasses 1/3 full with vinegar, let them sit for about 30 minutes, swished the vinegar around and then thoroughly washed them. They are now sparkling - all film and green tint is gone. Another search on the internet said that I probably have a hard water problem, and that I should use a cup of vinegar in the bottom rack of an empty dishwasher once every month to totally clean any buildup.

I use Finish regularly in the rinse cup, but my dishwasher is around 13 years old, so maybe it's a combination of things. My question is whether any of you regularly clean your dishwasher with a vinegar cycle? I use vinegar for a lot of cleaning issues, but it never occurred to me to use it in my dishwasher.

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you occasionally use Vinegar in your dishwasher?

@jannabelle1 

Yes 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I use vinegar in the rinse cycle of my dishwasher. We have very hard water and it does help put the sparkle back in your glassware. Lemishine is a good additive for getting shine. It is easier since it can be put into the dispenser before starting the wash cycle. I rotate between the two depending on whether or not  I can be on watch for the rinse cycle.

Honored Contributor

I have cleaned my dishwasher with vinegar. But I read on here once that it damages any rubber? or something.

But if you look it up, instructions on many sites say to put a cup of vinegar in the top rack of the dishwasher and run once a month. Also can scrub the drain with a brush.

So I'll be cleaning mine again with vinegar.

A maintenance man once told me to clean it with bleach once a month but the smell was so strong I didn't do it again because of my cat and also now grandkids.

I use vinegar in the wash and to clean everything😊

But I also learned, vinegar like many other things should never be combined with bleach!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Yes 

Honored Contributor

When I lived in an area with extremely hard water, I added citric acid in powdered form to every dishwasher load.  When I moved from that area, I put all my glasses in a dumpster as they were etched by the water and milky white.  Everybody in town used the citric acid which was stocked by Walmart. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all for your comments. I haven't heard of Lemishine or the citric acid, but I'll look into that as well. I didn't think I had hard water, but I guess I do. I think part of this problem is that it's been building up over time. I'm always amazed at how effective vinegar can be for so many things!

Trusted Contributor

It's supposed to be done once a month. I do forget. You just reminded me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I pour vinegar in the bottom of my dish washer every couple of months and don't forget to wipe down the gaskets where the door seals and also the drain occasionally.

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Thanks all for your comments. I haven't heard of Lemishine or the citric acid, but I'll look into that as well. I didn't think I had hard water, but I guess I do. I think part of this problem is that it's been building up over time. I'm always amazed at how effective vinegar can be for so many things!

I use Lemishine in my dishwasher and and washer once a month.  My dishes and glasses are sparkling clean!