Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you leave your dining table set when you're not hosting?

No.  Not at all.  I like there to be nothing on the table.  

Respected Contributor

No, we do not pre-set the table and leave it up. We set our dining room table just before we are ready to eat. When not in use it always has a tablecloth with a center bowl and candlesticks on either side. Decorations change with the season.
Valued Contributor

I have a friend who has hers set up.  It has looked the same every time I've been thre.  Starts to look worn after a while since they never eat at it.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@house_cat- I know two people who do this, placemates, place settings, cloth napkins, silverware and glassware.

I don't get it but I don't said anything.

@qbetzforreal  just like you, I know two people who do this and after a while you can see the dust on the plates especially.

I never asked why they did this but that is something I would never do.

One of them invited us to dinner and I of course had an excuse. I asked someone who went what dinner ware was used and of course it was the one that was on display for months. I wondered if they were washed before eating but glad I didn't accept the invitation.

Super Contributor

No.  Think of all the dust that accumulates...and the last time I ate in my dining room was at least 6 years ago.  

Respected Contributor

No. The dishes would just get dusty. And I think it looks a little precious like a realtor staged the house. 

We use our dining room for meetings, for spreading out projects, for eating whenever we have company or house guests. That room gets a lot of use. 

Our small kitchen table is perfect for DH and me, as empty nesters. But I love having a dining room. 

Honored Contributor

I think it looks silly.  It's the table version of "All dressed up and nowhere to go."

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@charsha 

Good point. I hadn't even thought of that. My two cats never go on tables or counters, but try as I might there is always hair blowing here and there. 

and in my case....Puggle hair!

She is 16 and certainly can't jump anymore, but man, that hair and dander would be all over table settings in 30 seconds.

I know they always 'set' the table for staging on the HGTV shows.  Other than staging, I sure wouldn't bother.

Beautiful runner, candle sticks, center piece etc is JUST as inviting and welcoming.

Albert and Tara just wanna sell stuff!   LOL

Respected Contributor

I think it displays laziness.

Esteemed Contributor

No - I have a formal dining room and wouldn't consider it.  Besides the dust factor, it looks too fancy to me.  I have a large bowl on the table, along with two small hurricanes from Valerie,  I have thought about putting a runner on for fall decor, but haven't gotten one yet.  We only eat in the dining room when we have company.