Respected Contributor

Do you know how to splay a chicken?? Here's a video to show you how

I had heard of spatchcocking a chicken, taking out the backbone and flattening the chicken.

I was reading an article on cooking a whole chicken in a 12 inch cast iron pan and they were talking about splaying the chicken. So, I went to You Tube to find out how to do it. Now to get a whole chicken to practice!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXO-7YZodw shows how to remove the whole rib cage.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you know how to splay a chicken?? Here's a video to show you how

Ever notice how desensitized one group of Earthlings is to another group of Earthlings?

Gasp! What if non-Earthlings read this! What WWJD (What Would Jupiter Do)?

Respected Contributor

Thank you, Barbara, for sharing the link. Good luck in your first attempt. Afterwards, I would be interested in reading about your results, opinions or tips.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Another way I saw to do this, is just splay the legs. Cut the skin between the leg/thigh quarter and the breast and flatten the legs down. That's it. They leave the rib cage in.

Respected Contributor

I love watching experts do chickens. I don't care how sharp my knife is - when I'm done, I think my cat could do a better job. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

If you ever have 10 minutes to waste, watch Jacques Pepin debone a chicken (Chicken Galantine Ballotine) on youtube. I'm in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

(Cut & paste, don't know why I can't link.) {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Denise
Super Contributor

HTH!

Chicken Galantine Ballotine

p.s Barb, I too have heard of 'spatchco c k ing' a chicken, but not splaying. I avoid videos for the most part, because my computer, w/out fail, freezes half way through. A PITA!

Respected Contributor

denisemb I pasted the video addy in the address box and it came up. I watched it and put it on my favorites.

Thanks so much for posting it.