Honored Contributor

Do you have the "Foster's Market" cookbook?

I have this cookbook and have NEVER made anything out of it.   So I thought I'd ask if any of you have it, like it, and have some suggestions for recipes to try.

I have a few cookbooks I've never used.  Do you?  Maybe we should start a topic now and then and share some recipe favorites to get us motivated to use these good books!  LOL!!!  Or to get rid of bad books!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have the "Foster's Market" cookbook?

I had to look up the Foster's Market cookbook. I don't have it, never heard of it but there are several of them on Amazon.

I've decided to not buy anymore cookbooks no matter how tempting!

I have about 25, if you count in the America's Test Kitchen magazines I buy at the checkout line.

Of all those, I've probably never made a recipe from half of them, made 2 or 3 recipes out of 1/4 of them and use the rest over and over for a recipe that we really enjoy.

I also tear out recipes from Real Simple magazine as they turn out quite well. My hubby loves a chicken cassarole recipe that includes torn bagette bread, leeks and lemons. And one year I took out every Thanksgiving recipe in the magazine and made several. I should have just kept the magazine intact and put it on the shelf!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sooner, I don't have her cookbook, but I think I've used a few of her recipes. I'll do a search through my database today and see.

One thing you could do is to go to Amazon and read the reviews of the cookbook. Some reviewers will list their favorite recipes from the book. 

Also, if I want to try a recipe I google it. I might type "Cinnamon Coffee Cake Sara Foster" and see what comes up. Often people will have tried the recipe and put their comments on their blog or on a recipe site.

Honored Contributor

Good ideas!  OK.  I'm going to try something from that book this weekend!  I'll report back!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only found one recipe by Sara in my database. Actually, it's not so much a recipe as a method, for cooking sweet potatoes. I saw it on a You Tube video, but I can't find that video now.

I'm going to post it because it's a great way to bake sweet potatoes. I used to puncture the sweet potatoes with a fork, and bake them on a baking sheet; some of them would start to ooze when they neared the end of baking time, and juices would burn on the baking sheet, and the house would smell like burnt sweet potatoes! (Not a good thing, especially at Thanksgiving or Christmas.)

With this method, there is no leaking (you don't puncture them), the potatoes come out soft and perfectly done. Use the darkest sweet potatoes (red, garnet, etc.) as they are the most flavorful. Here's her method:

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Sara Foster

Preheat oven to 400º. Rinse potatoes, and while they are still damp, wrap each potato in foil (shiny side in). Place on a rimmed baking sheet that is also lined with foil.

Bake medium sized potatoes 45 min. to 1 hour, large potatoes 1 hour to 1-1/4 hours. Remove potatoes from oven and test for doneness by squeezing a potato (wear oven mits!). Or unwrap one to test with a toothpick. If they are done, unwrap all potatoes; discard foil. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard peels.

In a large bowl, mash with a potato masher. Or, for very smooth potatoes, use an electric mixer and beat at low speed.

Respected Contributor

I have this cookbook and have never made anything out of it.  I have it marked though with the things I want to try.  I keep pulling it out but never get around to it.  Actually that goes for a lot of them. 

Honored Contributor

I was SO determined to make something this weekend, then we had company!  MAYBE tomorrow!!!!  LOL!!