Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have cooking buddies in real life?

Do grandchildren count?

Honored Contributor

I can relate to your husband house cat.  I'm leary of kitchens and finger licking and I've been like that since I was a kid!  I remember keeping a soapy wet napkin in my hand and sneaking my silverware off the table and wiping it down and also my plate.  I remember my heart beating fast as I didn't want to been caught doing it!  I had many old aunts that loved to cook, but the dishes in the dishrack always looked dirty.  Turned my stomach.  Have been leary of everyone else since...

Esteemed Contributor

I joined these boards in 2005 and my first post was here. I was looking for holiday recipe help!

So no, I don't have anyone to ask even the most basic questions of. Nobody I know cooks let alone bakes. Some of the young girls at work will ask me a question about preparing a holiday dish but they all consider cooking beneath them.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:
@sandraskates
@ feline groovyg.JPG
@sandraskates wrote:

What about the beauteous Gracie, your sweet & adorable kitty?

Or does she just 'supervise' as many cats do!  ;-)

If I'm cooking chicken, or salmon, she's right there to help. Otherwise, she's too busy napping. Here's a photo of her on salmon night.  She sits at the table with us to make us feel guilty.  Of course we always give her a taste, but not at the table. 

Gracie is adorable - great name, too! Gray cats are among my favorites.

Honored Contributor

I do have a neighbor who lives behind me that we share recipes and sometimes a portion or sample of something we have made. We do not cook together, lol, we have never been in each others' homes. It all over the "garden fence".
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

Of course grandchildren count! I can't think of anything more joyful.

DH has even gotten me leery about restaurants.  When we eat at my mom's or even have coffee there, he rewashes his mug before using it. My mom used to be a very fastidious housekeeper, but now she can't see very well and she often leaves stains on the dishes and cups.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I have 3 dd's one does not cook at all,both the other 2 are great cooks and one currantly is in cullinary school.My Mother is a good cook.So we all share recipes along with a neighbor too. We do not cook together but are always sharing recipes or running sweets or meals to each other. I host a Sunday Supper once a month,we had 25 last weekend.I usually cook everything,but  bought Costco Pumpkin Pies this time.

Contributor

Yes, my daughter, sister-in-law and mother-in-law are my cooking buddies in real life.  I don't have any idea what any of us would do without my mother-in-law's cooking tips and advise.  She is truly the best cook I have ever met.  We are all from the rural areas of  E.KY and my mother-in-law grew up here during the Great Depression and she can take few and simple ingredients and make it taste wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@Babycuddles wrote:

Yes, my daughter, sister-in-law and mother-in-law are my cooking buddies in real life.  I don't have any idea what any of us would do without my mother-in-law's cooking tips and advise.  She is truly the best cook I have ever met.  We are all from the rural areas of  E.KY and my mother-in-law grew up here during the Great Depression and she can take few and simple ingredients and make it taste wonderful.

My husband's family is from Ashland, and prior to that, Louisa, WV.  It was interesting when we got married and my Italian-American cooking took on a KY flair.  I much prefer southern cooking. I love watching "Southern at Heart". That girl is cute as  button and her recipes are wonderful.  I think she's from the Lexington area.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

If you mean Ashland, Ky, I live in a smaller place about 15 miles from there.  I have family in Louisa, WV.