Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a "master" grocery list?

@rissajaneen - I have a standard grocery list and a standard pantry stock-up list, and both get supplemented by additional items that I pick up each week or month. I think the approach to these kinds of lists totally depends on how you eat and what you eat; my lists might not be appropriate for or appreciated by others (and vice versa). If you search online for recommended shopping lists, grocery lists, or pantry lists, there is a large variety to choose from—including options for special dietary needs or budgets—so hopefully you can find an option that fits your needs. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have a master list per se, but then again, I kinda do.  I have certain items that I buy at specific stores so I shop each place with intention.  If I'm only doing a produce run, I'll hit Aldi.  If I need some other things, I'll go to a larger grocery like Meijer or Walmart and consolidate the list to get my veggies and berries there a,one with the rest of my list.  Once in a while I'll get veggies at Costco, but only certain things that I know I'll be able to use quickly enough.  We eat mostly fresh, basic ingredients, so I'm not buying cake mixes, canned frosting, pancake mix, canned veggies, canned beans, canned soups, canned chili, rice, pastas, boxed potatoes, boxed Mac & cheese, most frozen entrees, heat & eat pouches of rice or quinoa, etc.  Sometimes certain things can't be found locally so I have to ordere online.  Once it awhile I'll stumble upon certain specialty items, like our SF maple syrup.  When I find it, I'll grab a few.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG - I totally set up my shopping lists in order of store aisles as well—over the years, that has not only increased my efficiency but has also prevented me from all (well, okay, MOST) of the impulse buys and over-purchasing of my young adult days.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We don't exactly have a master list. The grocery store where I do curbside pickup has a frequently bought feature when I log in. I usually keep a running list beside my kitchen calendar. I go to the computer and enter those items first. Then the frequently bought items jogs my memory for a few things I may have forgotten.

Like others have mentioned we are in a rut. It is difficult to know about new items or nice produce when we aren't seeing them.

Esteemed Contributor

I never have gone grocery shopping without a list.  Never.  But it's a list of things we need, not a "master list." Years ago we had a decorative thing on the wall in the kitchen that held lined paper for a grocery list.  I trained the kids to write whatever they used up on that list. Disorganized hubby never did as well as the kids, ha ha. 

Nowadays I keep an ongoing list on my phone in the Notes ap, adding things as the week progresses. Love that I never have to worry about leaving my list at home.  Reading some of the replies here I feel fortunate to have a kajillion grocery stores to choose from, all pretty close.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

My weekly shopping list starts with my weekly dinner meal plan. I cannot tell you how much my meal plans have reduced food waste and allowed me to reduce how often I have to go to a store each week.

My pantry items are based on what we most commonly eat and I stock up more in winter in case of snow/ice conditions/power outages.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@rissajaneen I do keep a list of things I regularly buy in my phone (Notes).  I add to the top of the list things I need to buy (or want to try) on my next trip to the store or shopping online.

I move things up or down the list, depending on whether they are "in favor".  I keep at the bottom things I may not necessarily want to buy at a particular time, but I know I like.

Makes it easier to pop in a store when I am out and about to have the list handy.

Helps me make sure I don't miss something I really need.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc 

If I made the slightest change in menu, our boys were all over it!  Their "mouth was set!"!!!

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen   Are there any good farmer's markets near you?  We have a few and one in particular has been around forever but I only really started to shop there about ten years ago....we have been in the area for over thirty years.  Now I go once a week and get most of my meats & produce there.  

There is another local farm that I go to to buy my eggs.  The chickens are right nearby and the eggs are so fresh & delicious!

My area is suburban but there are several farms in the township next to me which is rural.

I stock up on paper goods (paper towels, tissues, bath tissue, napkins, etc.) at Costco plus a few larger frozen items and cleaning supplies.

As for the grocery store, I will get fresh vegetables & fruit if I don't get it at the farmer's market.  

I try to eat low carb so I stay away from processed foods as much as possible.  I stock up on meats, chicken and wild caught salmon.  We have a chest freezer in the garage.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do have a master list.

I typed up what I usually buy regularly on a document that I keep on my iPad.  I organized it by how I go through my store.  I keep one side for food items and the other for paper/cleaning goods, etc.  During the week I highlight (with a marker) which items I need that week, which is what I will buy that week.  I also leave a blank area so that I can write down anything I find that I need to buy that isn't on the list.  I print out several copies at a time and keep one out for the week that I add to when needed.

I've always taken a list shopping but now that I'm buying the same things regularly, I find this much easier than writing each item down time after time and sometimes forgetting something.