Frequent Contributor

Do you have a "master" grocery list?

Hello everyone!

In 2023, I am attempting to find areas of my life that I can manage better.  Grocery shopping is one of them. I am in a rural area, and there is no such things as getting groceries delivered or shopping at Trader Joe's.  My local grocery store is the pits, and whenever possible I drive about 45 minutes to a "nicer" grocery store to get meats, produce, baked goods, etc.  

Does anyone have a "master" grocery list of things you always buy and have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator?

I get so frustrated with grocery shopping- either feeling like I forgot something or feeling like my pantry is too crowded because I stocked up on too many things.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a "master" grocery list?

@rissajaneen wrote:

Hello everyone!

In 2023, I am attempting to find areas of my life that I can manage better.  Grocery shopping is one of them. I am in a rural area, and there is no such things as getting groceries delivered or shopping at Trader Joe's.  My local grocery store is the pits, and whenever possible I drive about 45 minutes to a "nicer" grocery store to get meats, produce, baked goods, etc.  

Does anyone have a "master" grocery list of things you always buy and have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator?

I get so frustrated with grocery shopping- either feeling like I forgot something or feeling like my pantry is too crowded because I stocked up on too many things.

not really but we keep a list of stuff to get next trip

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy a lot of my groceries online and the places where I shop have a "Buy Again" or a list of my most frequently bought items. That makes it easy for me to put stuff in my cart from there. It provides a reminder of the things I need to buy. I always buy the same stuff over and over again. You'd think I'd have it memorized by now...LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@rissajaneen  I don't have a master list. I use my Alexa device to call out items as I run out of them or get low. Since there is a device in my kitchen and also bedroom, I have it pretty much covered. When I get to the grocery store, I just pull up the list on my phone. This has eliminated so much frustration for me.

Honored Contributor

The closest I come to having a list is the pad I keep in the kitchen. If I'm running low on a staple or need to add an ingredient for a new recipe I wtprite it down. I'm old school and it works the best for me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use an app called "Our Groceries". You can make different lists for different stores. I can add items on my iPad and it will show up on my iPhone and watch. Very convenient and I never leave my list at home. 

Respected Contributor

@rissajaneen  somewhat in the same boat here. We have been living rural for a little over a year. We have adjusted. 

Our market we have learned, is very expensive, unless you shop the ad there, and their electronic coupons. other option is a smaller Wal-mart 20 miles away or "big town" 40 minutes away. 

We eat alot of soups, stews, gumbo, rice. Veggies bought, are the type that keep a little longer. (cabbage, carrots, onions)  

No fancy meals here, unless company. i gotten used to doing without some things.  We also invested in a freeze dryer, so we buy alot of marked down produce. peppers, tomatoes, apples.  homeade applesauce, rotel, tomato sauce, jalepenos.  always something different here.  cornbread/bisquit makings.  

we eat much healthier now we don't eat out nearly as much anymore.

Respected Contributor

@rissajaneen  My lists are Alexa and online. I also live rural and have been having online shopping shipped to me. Of course that doesn't help if I want fresh and frozen items but it really helps so I don't have to "go to town" nearly as often.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My "Master List" is why grocery shopping is so boring.

Same things all the time, but they are what we like best.  

Thank heavens for home delivery.  

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen 

I do have a "master list" written in the order of the grocery aisles, and always have.  Out boys loved it growing up!

I take a sheet of typing paper and fold length wise.

On the left, I write the days of the week with about 2 inches between.

I make a week's complete dinner menu considering what I have and the weekly store ad.

On the right side of the paper, I write what I need to buy.

During the days before I shop, any container that is low or runs out gets on the list so I never run out UNLESS DH grills and uses up something.  He throws the container out!

We play "WHY didn't you tell me we ran out?????".