Super Contributor

Re: Do you have a fool-proof method for soft-boiled eggs?

On 2/7/2014 magicmoodz said:

My husband can always make the PERFECT soft-boiled egg. I have asked him how and this is what I remember him telling me.

Fill pot with water to cover the eggs.

Bring to a rolling boil.

Turn flame off.

Cover pot.

Set timer for 3 minutes.

Done!

Are you sure that's for eggs added to already boiling water? I always thought the three minute rule was when you put eggs in cold water, bring to the boil and then start the timer one they are boiling.

Super Contributor

As is often the case, there is more than one way to fix soft-boiled eggs. This little wiki bit is instructive:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Soft-Boiled-Egg

Respected Contributor

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the subject of poached eggs was brought up.

The secret to poaching an egg is to strain the first. The white is made of two parts - one is runny, one is thicker. By straining the for a few seconds, the runny white is eliminated. Then, slide the egg into barely simmering water, and you get a perfectly shaped egg. No vinegar, no whirlpool need.

I've done this many times and can verify that it works.

I learned this from Michael Ruhlman. Here's a blog post about the the technique, and here's a video demonstrating it. In both of these, he's discussing a product that's for sale (egg spoon) but you don't have to buy the spoon, any strainer will do.

Respected Contributor

On 2/7/2014 walker said: You have to be careful cracking the egg or crack into a bowl and the slip it into the water. If the white starts to run a bit I take a spoon and gently push it back into more shape....if that makes any sense.

Thanks, I will try!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Thanks to magicmoodz, and nomless too.

All techniques to try on my quest for poached eggs! Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2014 mima said:

Yes I do. I have used a really cool egg timer for years. It is currently on Amazon for $6.49 with free Prime shipping. Search "egg timers".

It looks like this. You put it right in the pan at the same time you do the eggs. It changes colors until you get the doneness you want.

Oops. I did a picture, but it was huge. It is an egg shaped plastic item that is red. If I post a link, it will most likely get zapped. Let me see if there is a name to it. I'll be back.

It is called the Norpro Egg Rite Egg Timer.

Ditto, I think they have them @ BBBeyond as well Egg Perfect Timer also @ Wms Sonoma,

link is huge

just google egg shaped timer for boiling eggs, this really does the job.

Honored Contributor

nomless...thanks for better technique...mine are far from perfect....but good!

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2014 jackthebear said:
On 2/7/2014 mima said:

Yes I do. I have used a really cool egg timer for years. It is currently on Amazon for $6.49 with free Prime shipping. Search "egg timers".

It looks like this. You put it right in the pan at the same time you do the eggs. It changes colors until you get the doneness you want.

Oops. I did a picture, but it was huge. It is an egg shaped plastic item that is red. If I post a link, it will most likely get zapped. Let me see if there is a name to it. I'll be back.

Ditto, I think they have them @ BBBeyond as well Egg Perfect Timer also @ Wms Sonoma,

link is huge

I found this on Amazon but I want to see if I can get it at the BBB down the street. I'm a little confused about how it works. Does it matter that the device is room temp and the eggs are straight out of the fridge?

Super Contributor

I love the way the posters on this forum can turn such a boring thing as soft-boiled eggs into an interesting, informative thread! Thank you all for your ideas.

Respected Contributor

On 2/7/2014 house cat said:
On 2/7/2014 jackthebear said:
On 2/7/2014 mima said:

link is huge

I found this on Amazon but I want to see if I can get it at the BBB down the street. I'm a little confused about how it works. Does it matter that the device is room temp and the eggs are straight out of the fridge?

You know what? I don't know. I've never thought about it. If it makes any difference, I take my eggs right out of the fridge. Put the eggs and timer in the pan of water, add some salt and bring them to a boil. When the timer changes color all over (I like mine hard boiled), I take the pan off the stove and start running cold water in the pan as I'm pouring out the hot water. Works perfect. I wouldn't be able to make a hard boiled egg without this cheap gadget.