Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a food that you had as a child that is still your comfort food?

@phoenixbrd-

I'm now realizing (I think!) that you meant it was hard for you to eat meat and dairy because of your love of animals, not that you liked them.

My sister has been like that all her life too and like I said before she has been a vegetarian most all of her life.

My youngest daughter and I were talking about it again today and are going to try to get more vegetarian recipes from our gourmet daughter!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

For me, it was chicken & noodles (or beef & noodles) over mashed potatoes.  As a matter of fact, I made beef & noodles over the weekend and brought leftovers for lunch today.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

It has to be spaghetti and meat sauce.  I still love spaghetti and any kind of pasta (spaghetti, lasagna, noodles, macaroni, etc.)  It's all good.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

What a fun and interesting thread!

My mother was a wonderful cook, but she never liked and never made soup.  However, when I was sick, she made Potato Soup for me -- very simple: potatoes sliced thin and cooked in the pressure cooker, then into a saucepan with milk, and a little bit of butter and salt and a little bit of the potato water.  Someone mentioned chicken soup as penicillin -- this was my mom's version.  I used to (almost) look forward to being sick just to have soup!

By the way, I have never eaten a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.  The closest we had was an open-faced Bacon and Cheese, but the cheese was melted under a broiler and not on a griddle, then topped with slices of cooked bacon. 

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit. My mom made potato soup like that too.  She also added chopped hard boiled eggs to it.  I do too.

This is a fun tread.  I love reading all of the posts.  

Honored Contributor

I would love to have a fried bologna sandwich like the ones I ate as a child.  

My dad participated in the Saturday night neighborhood shooting matches; a cash payout to the first and second place winners, and the third place winner won the big roll of bologna.  Dad was an awesome shot, and won cash prizes often, but my brothers and I were more thrilled when he came home with the roll of bologna!   

Mom would freeze half the roll, but starting with breakfast on Sunday morning, we had thick slices of bologna fried in a cast iron skillet.   I would ask for a packed lunch most of the week just to have a fried bologna and mustard sandwich.   Occasionally I buy the Oscar Meyer red rind bologna to satisfy my craving for a fried bologna sandwich, but no grocery store bologna tastes like 1960’s bologna.