Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a food that you had as a child that is still your comfort food?

Spaghetti or rigatoni and meatballs, chocolate mayonaise cake (mostly because my brother loved it so much), homemade tomato pie (pizza dough with fresh tomatoes, basil, olive oil and mozzarella cheese stretched out on a cookie pan sheet.)  and beans and macaroni.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Frequent Contributor

Milk Toast.  Our father would make it for us as children, although have not had it in years.

Every Sunday night our mother would fix us each a bowl of rice with milk and sugar over it.  I remember eating it and dreading the next day, which would be a school Monday.

Honored Contributor

Home made vegetable soup or pizza and pasta have always pretty much done it for me. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Meatballs and angel hair pasta my Moms and stuffed artichokes my Aunt would make. Brings back the nicest memories. Food does that to many of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother used to make toast in the morning for me, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar and then slice it into 4 or 5 narrow strips - she called it cinnamon fingers. To this day, I still love toast with a little butter and cinnamon/sugar. When I was sick, my mother made egg noodles, added some warm milk and a little butter - I still make the same thing for myself when I'm sick.

Honored Contributor

There were so many things that I wouldn't eat as a kid. I wish I was as picky now ,LOL. I didn't eat cheese till I was in college, and only then to save money on food , I used coupons at a local burger place. I love cheeseburgers now, but it took some time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I am a southern girl.  My favorite was a huge pot of mixed greens (collards, kale & mustard) and some wild greens mixed in, cooked with ham hocks.  Cornbread in her two cast iron skillets (it took 2 for us) and a protein and her famous baked rice pudding.  Wow, what memories.

Respected Contributor

I, too, remember my Mother cutting up grapefruit and sugaring it the night before.  It was always so good in the morning.

Often on Friday evenings we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper. Yummy.

Being Polish my Mother made pierogis, which was an all day chore.  She also made delicious potato pancakes.  These were favorites of mine.

Two other favorites were city chicken and beef stroganoff.  City chicken was made with alternating pork chunks and veal chunks on sticks.  They would be dipped in flour, browned and baked for several hours in a mushroom soup gravy and served with mashed potatoes. Delicious!

Honored Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

Dad's fav to make was tuna fish and onion with mayo.  Moms fav to make was pot roast.  and my grandma would have a pot of chicken and dumplins on the stove when we came to visit.  

@aoldgirl-

Yum!! to all of those!Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Can’t stand bananas. When I was 

a baby my mother and two aunts overstuffed me so much I cramped up. As soon as I was old enough to refuse bananas I did.

Even with my grandkids I can’t handle them, or smell a ripe banana without disgust.

As you can imagine I get teased mercilessly by my family.