Super Contributor

Do you have a favorite recipe for spinach pie?

Thank you, in advance. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite recipe for spinach pie?

There are many types of Spinach Pie. Here is mine.

Greek Spanakopita

Ingredients

1 package phyllo pastry (1 lb)

3 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
½ cup olive oil
1 bunch scallions, chopped fine or 1 lg onion (I like white onions)
½ cup parsley
½ pound crumbled feta cheese
½ pound ricotta or cottage cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 bunch dill (optional) I omit it

Directions

Thaw spinach and drain well. Separate eggs and beat yolks. Crumble feta cheese, combine with other cheeses and then with beaten egg yolks.

Cook chopped onion in EVOO until clear and season to taste with salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Nix onion and cheese mixture with spinach.

Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into spinach mixture.

To prepare your phyllo, carefully roll it out onto a clean surface. Place the sheet of plastic your phyllo came wrapped in over the entire surface and cover with a damp towel. When working with phyllo, make sure to always keep the damp towel over the plastic to avoid drying it out. Also, make sure the towel does not make direct contact with the phyllo or it will become soggy.

Brush 9x13 pan with melted butter. Layer half of phyllo sheets in pan, brushing each layer with butter. Spread spinach mixture evenly over phyllo and cover with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each one with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 mins or until puffy and golden brown. Cut into squares with very sharp knife. OR make into triangles….

Take one sheet of phyllo and lay it out on a clean surface. Brush the entire sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Then lay a second sheet of phyllo over the first and brush with additional melted butter. Then cut your phyllo into 4 long strips. I found it easiest to cut it in half and then cut the two halves in half again.

Then spoon 1 teaspoon of filling at the very beginning of your phyllo strip. Lift your bottom right corner over and evenly fold along the left side to create a clean edge. Press down gently so your top is flat: Then flip up, then flip to the right, to the left, up again, and continue these steps until you reach the end of your phyllo. When making your triangle, always try and keep your edges lined up to create a clean triangle. When you reach the end, tuck your remaining edge under and place on a greased cookie heet. Brush your triangles with melted butter on both sides and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Zhills! That looks delicious!

When no one had responded this morning, I had to make a choice and buy the ingredients. I made this one with a spaghetti crust.

Super Contributor

I wish I had been on the computer this morning (more fun than cleaning house). Maybe you can use it in the future. I would be willing to bet that my favorite go to spinach casserole recipe would work. It is quick and easy and really yummy. I have never actually made it into a pie, but have thought about it, I have used it as filling for lasagna and manicotti and such. Not only a holiday staple, but we enjoy it all year long, makes a nice light lunch or accompaniment with salad (lots of veggies that way).

Spinach Stuff

2 8oz packages of cream cheese (softened) {I always use the Neufchatel}

2 Eggs

1 - 1 ½ 10 - 16 oz packages of frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)

¾ Cup of grated Swiss cheese (you can use more or use different kinds of cheese or no cheese at all it is good either way)

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

Couple dashes of nutmeg (more or less to your preference, but really adds to the flavor)

Beat cream cheese until smooth, beat in eggs until completely blended, set aside.

Make sure your spinach is completely defrosted, then squeeze as much water out as you can, I do this by hand (helpful tip: I use disposable gloves, it is less messy & won’t sting if you have any little cuts) you want as little water as possible. Add the spinach to the cream cheese mix and stir with a fork to break up the spinach. Add the rest of the ingredients.

This amount fills an 8” or 9” square pan (if you want it thinner use a slightly larger pan). Butter the pan and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 – 45 minutes (or when light brown on top).

Alternative: Unbaked mixture is a great filling for homemade lasagna, manicotti, stuffed shells or ravioli, puff pastry or phyllo dough etc..

T

Super Contributor

Thank you, thins. That sounds good too Smile

Super Contributor

wow.yummy.thanks

Super Contributor

This is a simple one that was shared on my facebook for crustless spinach and feta pie.

Ingredients:

10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup (2.5 oz) reduced fat crumbled feta
2 tbsp grated Asiago cheese (or Parmesan, Romano)
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup fat free milk
1 tsp olive oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
cooking spray (I used my misto)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray a pie dish with cooking spray or your misto.
Mix spinach, scallions, dill, parsley, feta cheese, and in the pie dish.
Sift flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and blend well. Pour into pie dish.

Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until knife comes out clean from the center. Let it stand at least 5 minutes before serving.