Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite kind of rice, or a brand you like?

@Nomore wrote:

I like jasmine and medium grain in white. But I haven't found medium in awhile so am buying long grain for now. I don't know brand names, it all depends what the commissary has got on the shelf. I don't like the taste of minute rice or microwave rice or rice seasoning pkgs, and it only takes 20 minutes to cook, so that's no problem. I don't order anything with rice in it at a restaurant (if we ever eat out again) because I can taste the quick type rice they use.

For my health concern, my doctor team and nutritionist advice, I should not ever eat again brown rice due to the arsenic level in the seed covering. And I like it, too.

@Nomore I just bought a bag of Nishiki medium grain rice and cooked some today.  We both thought I was very good.  I got it from Amazon.  I can't compare it to Calrose because I haven't had that in a long time.

I have read that rices grown in California have a much lower arsenic level than others raised in the U.S.  They may talk about it on their website--and I can't cite sources, but I have read that a couple of times!  

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

Here in La. we usually cook a pot of rice and then decide what to make with it. I sometimes get jasmine, but my very favorite is Botan Calrose, just like my mom used to make. Don't like brown rice, I've tried but just can't. I also don't like any kind of parboiled. Just not right. 

@Renata22 Do a lot of cooks in La. use medium grain rice?  I have been to New Orleans many many times, but have not had the opportunity to eat in lots of the small towns to see what people use in their dishes.

I LOVE seafood gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee so much!  Especially gumbo!  'Ya gotta "stir" dat roux!  And we. only buy Gulf or Alaskan shrimp!  And if I can get a fried soft shell crab I am happy beyond words!  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  No, most people around here use long grain rice. I like that too, but mostly use my med grain.

Yep, we sure do have some good food here. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some medium grain white rice that the husband bought (as usual - the wrong one).  I felt I needed to use it but each time (lot of time inbetween) I forget that I don't care for it.  I don't know if it's just that particular brand or if medium grain is always that way, but it's all gloppy and sticks together.  I get a fluffier product from the extra long grain that I purchase. 

I still have some of the medium grain left and keep arguing with myself because half of me wants to throw it away, whereas the other half of me hates waste.

TBH, I don't quite get why it's called 'extra long grain'.   It just looks like regular rice to me.  Smiley Very Happy   But, I do prefer the longer grain for the fluffiness factor.

Respected Contributor

Carolina long grain rice is my go to. Minute Rice is when I want it fast. I love Trader Joe's Jasmine rice. When I'm making arroz con gandules; I prefer a medium grain rice. This is one of my favorite rice dishes. 

Valued Contributor

My husband likes the Royal Basmati rice bought in burlap bag at Sams.  I divide it down into zip loc bags so we don't get those weavils in it.  They now sell smaller amounts in my grocery store but much more expensive per pound.

Valued Contributor

Wow! What a great thread! You've all given me some new brands of rice to try. I love rice  of all types, specifically Saffron Rice. I'm anxious to try these new finds you've given. 

Esteemed Contributor

I also have a 20 lb. bag of Royal Basmati rice - ordered from Costco - thru Instacart - sitting on the floor of my pantry. I also love Jasmine. I'm not familiar with other types of rice - but I love rice!!!

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee One time many years ago at an Asian market I bought a bag of sticky rice because I had read about it but never had it.  When I got to the checkout all was going fine until the rice arrived at the cashier and she "No. Sticky rice !" and yanked the bag off and put it aside.

I grabbed it back and said "Yes!"  She again grabbed the bag, put it aside and said "NO! Sticky Rice"  It was pretty funny because I got the bag back, held it to me pointed to it and said "Yes" shaking my head.

She took the bag back shook her head like I was just stupid and we paid and off we went.  My husband thought it was hilarious!  Woman Very Happy

Sticky rice is only available at certain times of the year and is favored by certain Asian cultures for their seasonal dishes.  They may have been saving it for those people.  Or they may have thought you were just stupidly picking the wrong rice because you weren't Asian.

I used to shop in Asian markets in Seattle years ago.   I bought banana leaves to make a Nigerian bean dish.   The cashier looked at me like I was crazy.  She asked me what I was going to cook.  I told her Moi Moi, the name of the Nigerian dish.   She turned bright red as Moi Moi means pubic hair in Thai!

Ah, cultural diversity is beautiful.

@NYwoman LOL!!!  No, she thought I was just stupid.  And my husband standing there laughing didn't help matters!  Woman SadWoman Very Happy