Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite kind of rice, or a brand you like?

Although I love rice, I seldom cook it for myself anymore & when I do have it, I tend to use Trader Joe's Frozen Organic Brown Rice as a slightly healthier option.  It's ready in the microwave in 3 minutes.

Trader Joe's addictions

Trusted Contributor

I prefer a Jasmine or Basmati rice for most recipes.  I use Arborio rice for Risotto, of course.  And Thai sweet, sticky rice is good for some Asian rice balls or desserts.

I love cooking Asian and Italian recipes.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee One time many years ago at an Asian market I bought a bag of sticky rice because I had read about it but never had it.  When I got to the checkout all was going fine until the rice arrived at the cashier and she "No. Sticky rice !" and yanked the bag off and put it aside.

I grabbed it back and said "Yes!"  She again grabbed the bag, put it aside and said "NO! Sticky Rice"  It was pretty funny because I got the bag back, held it to me pointed to it and said "Yes" shaking my head.

She took the bag back shook her head like I was just stupid and we paid and off we went.  My husband thought it was hilarious!  Woman Very Happy

Sticky rice is only available at certain times of the year and is favored by certain Asian cultures for their seasonal dishes.  They may have been saving it for those people.  Or they may have thought you were just stupidly picking the wrong rice because you weren't Asian.

I used to shop in Asian markets in Seattle years ago.   I bought banana leaves to make a Nigerian bean dish.   The cashier looked at me like I was crazy.  She asked me what I was going to cook.  I told her Moi Moi, the name of the Nigerian dish.   She turned bright red as Moi Moi means pubic hair in Thai!

Ah, cultural diversity is beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Brown Minute Rice when I make my Panang Beef Curry and use a Long Grain Brown Rice when I make a chicken/rice casserole.  

Rice is just OK; I much prefer a potato.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

It depends on what our main dish is, but I can say that I love sticky rice (have no problem buying it year-round). Also, basmati (love TJ's brown version) and Jasmine. Some dishes just demand regular ol' long-grain white.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

For white rice (mostly for the dog), I get Mahatma brand extra long grain white rice.

For the brown rice, which is mine, I have the Lundberg brand long grain brown rice.   Like the Mahatma, I've used this brand for many years.

I also keep wild rice on hand but I don't even recall the brand.  I got a large amount, some time back probably on Amazon, and portioned it in one cup bags that I vac-sealed and keep in the refrigerator or freezer.

I like rice.  I don't use it all the time but I keep some of all those on hand all the time.  Just a small bowl of brown rice w/butter and s&p is good.  Sometimes I add a protein and have even been known to add cheese to a portion (not when I cook up a batch). 

For the wild rice, I like to add  sausage (bulk that I cook and crumble).   It probably sounds weird, but it's tasty and I like it.  I came to that one time making my own dressing recipe for Thanksgiving where I do use sausage and the wild rice.  I had made extra one time so I saved that part back and just ate the rice and sausage as a meal and liked it so much I've made just that a few times since.

I don't do any of the instant types, as they are so different.  If I need to cook one that takes 40 minutes or more I just plan it out and it works out fine.  I'm not a busy person.  Smiley Happy   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mizree wrote:

@peachesncream i'm curious how do you reheat frozen rice?  thanks.  we usually buy Dynasty brand jasmine brown rice. 

Hi!

Here are some instructions from the Simply Recipes website (I paraphrased):

To reheat frozen rice, break it into chunks, place in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap (or a lid), and microwave on full power (High) for around 2 minutes.

My notes:

I do one thing differently – I sprinkle the rice with a little water, about a teaspoon for 2 servings.

Sometimes I defrost the rice during the day in the refrigerator. In that case, it takes less time to reheat in the microwave – about 1 minute at half power.  

I always freeze rice in ziplock bags. They take up very little space in the freezer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As to freezing rice - 

I've only recently done that because I make up a chicken and rice thing for the dog (tummy issues) and I make enough to last a couple weeks or more because it's a lot of work (mostly cutting up that chicken breast into teeny tiny bits), so I put half in one L&L and half in the other.  

The one that w/b used later I put in the freezer.  Seriously, it's not that big at all and it takes DAYS and DAYS to thaw out!    I think I could thaw a whole  turkey  faster than I can thaw out that bit of rice w/chicken.  Anything else the size of this L&L of rice would thaw out in a couple hours.  

It's odd to me.

Trusted Contributor

Here in La. we usually cook a pot of rice and then decide what to make with it. I sometimes get jasmine, but my very favorite is Botan Calrose, just like my mom used to make. Don't like brown rice, I've tried but just can't. I also don't like any kind of parboiled. Just not right. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like jasmine and medium grain in white. But I haven't found medium in awhile so am buying long grain for now. I don't know brand names, it all depends what the commissary has got on the shelf. I don't like the taste of minute rice or microwave rice or rice seasoning pkgs, and it only takes 20 minutes to cook, so that's no problem. I don't order anything with rice in it at a restaurant (if we ever eat out again) because I can taste the quick type rice they use.

For my health concern, my doctor team and nutritionist advice, I should not ever eat again brown rice due to the arsenic level in the seed covering. And I like it, too.