Honored Contributor

Do you have a favorite kind of rice, or a brand you like?

I just put on some rice and was thinking back to the days when it was pretty much white long grain and that was it. Now we have Basmati, Brown Basmati, Organic, Sushi, Sweet Rice, Red, Black and all sorts of exotic brands and kinds.

Are you a rice eater?  We love it!  

We probably use more basmati and jasmine than anything else (both brown and white in each), although we do use long grain brown rice pretty often too and I keep white long grain on hand.  We most often get organic.

The brands I usually buy are Lundberg, Rice Select, Nishiki, and sometimes Riceland or when I see it Carolina Gold (although I was disappointed in the last few I got).  And I do keep some Ben's parboiled on hand for certain times or dishes. 

We got a huge 20 pound burlap sack of Royal Basmati at Sams a long time ago and it was good!  We had it in the hall closet for ages!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite kind of rice, or a brand you like?

[ Edited ]

I've always cooked medium grain white rice. That's what I was raised on. Mostly Japanese brands and one brand called Calrose.

ETA - I should correct myself. Calrose is a type of medium grain white rice and the brand is Botan.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee One time many years ago at an Asian market I bought a bag of sticky rice because I had read about it but never had it.  When I got to the checkout all was going fine until the rice arrived at the cashier and she "No. Sticky rice !" and yanked the bag off and put it aside.

I grabbed it back and said "Yes!"  She again grabbed the bag, put it aside and said "NO! Sticky Rice"  It was pretty funny because I got the bag back, held it to me pointed to it and said "Yes" shaking my head.

She took the bag back shook her head like I was just stupid and we paid and off we went.  My husband thought it was hilarious!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

That's funny! LOL! @Sooner 

Honored Contributor

I have switched over to brown rice. The Ben's microwave ready rice takes 90 sec. and turns out great every time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Sooner   I buy long grain white, basmati, and wild rice (which, of course, is really a grass and not rice at all) but I do have a small supply of brown rice.  Usually I have no brand preference and buy the best deal on the white rice.

I use rice as the starch in a meal quite often.  I even got my Significant Other hooked on rice.  When I first met him he was more of a "potatoes" or bread eater.

When he started eating my meals that included white rice he came to realize that it didn't equal "bland" and could be quite flavorful.

Now he requests it.  He and I both enjoy cooking and trying new recipes.

aroc3435

Washingto, DC

Esteemed Contributor

Love all kinds. Prefer wild rice & jasmine the best .

Honored Contributor

I don't have a favorite brand but I do like sushi and basmati rice the best. 

Honored Contributor

I use Ben's Long Grain Rice and Lipton's Wild Rice.

Honored Contributor

I like  Uncle Ben's rices.  His white long grain is delish and his wild rice and other flavors.

kindness is strength