Super Contributor

Re: Do you have a fabulous banana bread recipe?

Years ago our elderly neighbor made banana bread almost weekly, and our kids loved it! I ask for her recipe and the kids were amazed that I, too, could bake good banana bread.  Our family doesn't really like nuts (and she didn't add them either), so I started adding some mini chocolate chips to the batter.  And, since I did child care in our home, I baked the "bread" in muffin tins (which are so much easier for small children to handle).  Over the years I've made wide variety of muffin/quick breads and hands down, EDITH'S BANANA BREAD remains the all time favorite!  I hope you try/like it, too!

EDITH'S BANANA BREAD

1/4 c soft butter

2/3 c sugar

2 eggs

3 over-ripe bananas

1 t baking soda

2 c flour

1/2 c mini chocolate chips &/or chopped nuts

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Mix in eggs and bananas, blending well.  With mixer running, add soda and flour, and beat until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated.  Fold in chips/nuts and spoon into oiled bread/muffin tin.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bread/muffins test done.  Makes 1 loaf or 12 regular muffins.

Regular Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner I'm trying Janet's Rich Banana Bread recipe from All Recipes today. Here is the link:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17066/janets-rich-banana-bread/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringCo...

It has nearly 5K reviews and is still rated at 5 stars! 

I'll let you know how it goes.

That's also almost identical to the Martha Stewart recipe - just calls for less salt, which is definitely necessary if you use salted butter.  Anyway, it's a good one - I can vouch for it.  Haven't found a better recipe, and don't plan to look anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I do it the same way, Pillsbury box mix and add about 1/2 smashed ripe banana. A little cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. Perfect everytime.

Trusted Contributor

I have tried several more over the past few months but none seem to compare to my tired and true (posted on 1st page). It really is the best!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner I made Blue Jean Chef Banana Bread last week & thought it was really good. I like the addition of the Turbinado Sugar because it gave it a crunchy texture. It's also super easy to make.

Banana Bread

Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence

Serves: 1 loaf

Ingredients
  • butter and sugar, for greasing pan
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • turbinado sugar, for dusting

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Butter the inside of a 1-pound loaf pan and dust with sugar - shake the pan to cover the bottom and sides with sugar and tap out any excess sugar. Set the pan aside.
  2. Mash the bananas with a fork. Add the eggs, oil and sugar, and mix until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once. Mix by hand just until dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Do not overmix the batter. Gently fold in the chopped nuts, if using.
  4. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar.
  5. Bake at 350ºF for 60 to 75 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
  6. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, remove the banana bread from the pan and cool completely on cooling rack before slicing and serving.

The video shows putting the bananas in the oven at 350° for 20 mins first. This not mentioned in the above text? I did that because my bananas were not ripe enough. I thought it gave more flavor.

https://www.meredithlaurence.com/recipes/banana-bread/

Respected Contributor

Here is the best ever banana bread.  It is from the Neeley's when they had their cooking show.   The last time I made it, a few weeks ago, I added coarsely ground pepper to it.  Gave it anther "dimension" as they say nowadays.

Banana Bread

• 1 stick butter, at room temperature, plus more for loaf pan
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas*
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • Honey Butter, for serving, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.

In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans. Pour the batter into the pan and put on a sheet tray.

Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with Honey Butter.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Thanks and wow what a great collection of recipes we have here!  I just made one in my little 1-pound Zojirushi bread machine.  It was easy and turned out great.  I had never tried this before:

2 large eggs lightly beaten

1/4 cup milk

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

3 tsp (which is 1TBSP) baking powder

1/3 cup melted butter

1/2 cup suagr

1/3 cup mashed banana

1/3 cup sour cream

1 tsp vanilla extract

when beep sounds add 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped.

Put in Zojirushi mini breadmachine in order listed, use cake course to mix and bake.  

I used less sugar and it was good.  VERY good. Wish I had tried this a long time ago!  But I am very thankful for all of the good recipes above! Tried and true all of them!!

Respected Contributor

house-cat, Now, do you use just purcased bananas, or ripe ? Because I lately have a problem with ripe bananas, they get ugly and watery and I concern that knats are growing in them. So I quit making banana bread and we really like.  HELP!!!!

Respected Contributor

Nightowiz, David Venable said to put the banans in the oven on 325 for just until the bananas are soft. Sound workable , and a safer way to get to bake faster when we want to.I am going with His way for me. Mine always get really sickning if I wait for them.

Esteemed Contributor

My recipe isn't fancy, but it's always moist. I think the key to banana bread is to use enough bananas, make sure your oven temperature is correct and to not overbake.

Banana Bread

1 1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs, whisked

1/4 cup melted butter

3 ripe, mashed bananas

1 tsp vanilla

Grease/flour 9" x 5" loaf pan

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix dry ingredients together

Add butter, eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla to dry ingredients, and stir together just until combined.

Bake for 1 hour, but check at 55 minutes with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. If not, bake for a few more minutes. Check until you have a clean toothpick. Let cool and then ease out of the pan.

If I only have a couple of small bananas, I make half the recipe and bake in two small loaf pans.