Honored Contributor

Re: Do you go to restaurants alone?

On 7/24/2014 ennui1 said:
On 7/24/2014 house_cat said:

Point taken, but I think it's more of a personality thing. My husband would rather eat a PB sandwich rather than go sit in a restaurant alone. He hates being alone under any circumstances. I love to be alone, so it doesn't bother me.

That must be an interesting marriage. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It is interesting, and loving and we've been happily compromising for 32 years.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

No, I am retired and go out with "hubby" or friends when we go which is rare. Most of the time I "fix" means at home. I would be afraid to go it alone because there would be no one to stop my urges to eat dessert instead of a meal. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Valued Contributor

Quite frequently. I have always been independent, so it does not bother me.

Super Contributor

Yes. This is one of my favorite things to do--take a book or magazine and read. I usually pick casual restaurants. I don't go to a fancier restaurant in the evening and read.

I still love magazines and got a great deal on quite a few. I keep them in my car for this very reason or when I'm waiting to pick up grandchildren.

Respected Contributor

I find I eat out alone much more at lunch (I don't eat fast food if I can help it) but most times nearer dinner I order take out and eat at home.

Respected Contributor

I have for lunch. If I am out and about and get hungry I go to a local place and sit at the bar where they serve food. I see many people doing this, men and woman. I never went to dinner alone, my husband would be jealous. He loves eating out.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Smurfette said:

Yes. Sometimes I prefer eating alone. I know that sounds terrible, but sometimes I just want the time to be alone with my thoughts. It really gives you a chance to observe the world around you; especially when at sidewalk cafés.

It doesn't sound terrible at all- so many times I prefer quiet time with my thoughts!

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Snowpuppy said:
On 7/24/2014 house_cat said:
On 7/24/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Is this another question from the 1950's Ladies Home Journal? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Yes, I eat at a restaurant by myself. Often if it's my lunch hour from work I prefer it! Some days I can't take one more person talking to me.

What do you mean by that? Do you think it's a s exist question?

I didn't think of it as male or female but now that you point that out, I doubt that any man in America would go hungry instead of eating alone.

My point was that this is the 21st century.

Will you eat alone or go hungry instead wasn't the question, it was will you eat alone in a restaurant. Other options include making dinner at home, picking up takeout, or getting something delivered. Many people choose to do those things instead of eating alone in a restaurant. I know several men who won't eat alone in restaurants when will pick up takeout instead.

They range in age, too. One is in his mid-20s and hates the idea of going to a restaurant alone, but he does go to the movies and other places alone. In the theater, it's dark and you're all facing the screen. In a restaurant, he could wind up being seated in the middle of the dining room with other people facing him and he doesn't like that.

Honored Contributor

Only at a food court or a fast food restaurant, not at a nice crowded restaurant, and it would definitely be lunch, for dinner, I wouldn't have go alone, my DH would be with me!

I also don't go to the movies alone, that is why I love Netflix!

Respected Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Hooty said:

Only at a food court or a fast food restaurant, not at a nice crowded restaurant, and it would definitely be lunch, for dinner, I wouldn't have go alone, my DH would be with me!

I also don't go to the movies alone, that is why I love Netflix!

Me, too.

I don't like eating out alone. To me, dining out is a social experience, and being with friends or family is part of it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero