Honored Contributor

Re: Do you go to restaurants alone?

Sometimes.

Honored Contributor

I have gone to the movies alone too-- a matinee. I have no problem doing that. I don't do it often, but I have at least 3 or 4 times!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I never have and doubt I ever will. I would feel weird, uncomfortable and very self conscious. I see people eating alone all the time and wonder how they feel and look so relaxed and comfortable. But that's not me.

Super Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Lannie said:
On 7/25/2014 EastCoastViewer said:

Of course, then I'm always in good company.

Oh how true! I totally agree. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I absolutely go out to eat alone and do other things alone. Why waste your life sitting at home and not go out and enjoy and have a good time and experience things when you want to.

Like another poster has already said, not eating alone in a restaurant doesn't mean you sit at home. {#emotions_dlg.huh} I do other things alone like shopping and working out, going for walks, but not eating alone in a restaurant or diner. Although I do love being at home a lot of the time too. Wink

Respected Contributor

I used to travel very much for business throughout the domestic USA, and was so relaxed and used to traveling and eating alone.

Eating alone never bothered me but I did miss my husband a lot.

Many times he would come in and surprise me before I flew back home and we would tour the city I was in together. That was so nice and I loved having him by my side.

When he died one comfort was I had all that experience under my belt so eating alone again and traveling was something I became accustomed to.....of course I always missed my husband of 45 years, but they say life goes on, and I knew I also had to.

Now with my recent remarriage I no longer eat alone unless I am out alone and hungry, but we women have come a long way.

Seeing women out eating alone and traveling alone is a normal part of every day life and people are already accustomed to this.....years ago not so much.

Trusted Contributor

Not so much any more, but I've eaten alone in restaurants many times over the years. I go to the movies alone sometimes and shop alone most of the time. Sometimes I'm the best company available! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

I do it all the time, and it doesn't bother me.

I usually shop alone, and I prefer to take some vacations alone. For instance, I went to Paris alone a few years ago. There were certain things I wanted to see, and I did not want to worry about having someone with me who was complaining about long lines, etc. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/24/2014 FrostyBabe said: Restaurants, movies, concerts, sporting events, travel... I do it all by myself. If I want to go, I go.

This.

I will admit that I find traveling and movies the easiest to do alone. I have been going to more concerts by myself lately, and, at the last two, the people sitting next to me were alone too. Made it easier to get up and DANCE! (although, over 1/2 the time, there was somebody else sitting in my seat when I arrived!) I did go to one sporting event alone and I did feel strange about it - it was a playoff game and I just felt like I was the only one there alone. If I were a superfan, it likely would have been different and I would have been able to talk to the people around me.

But the post is specifically asking about restaurants. Lunch or dinner - doesn't usually matter. It really depends on the restaurant. I'm not going to go to the most crowded trendiest restaurant alone, but I have been to a few nice ones. I don't usually personally do this, but many restaurants do have a bar to sit at and some people may feel more comfortable doing that.

Super Contributor

Yes, usually for a lunch special I will go alone. I don't go alone for dinner hour though.

Super Contributor

Of course. Why would I want to wait to see if someone wanting to go with me if I wanted to go