Honored Contributor

Re: Do you freeze a lot of fresh tomatoes?

@Spacrazy @Sounds amazing.  So tell me are you really into space stuff?  If so, I’ll tell you some interesting info about where I worked ( regarding space) in the Pentagon.

I can’t do it now because I’m on my IPad and it’s way too slow.

If you do like space stuff for real and want to hear about it I can post it tomorrow.  If not, that works too. 😘

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Some I just wash and freeze whole with the skins on.  When I want to use them, I run them under cold water while frozen and the skin just peels right off.  Mostly use for soups this way.

@CarmieTHANK YOU for sharing this method - easiest by far to freeze this way!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't blanch things--just freeze them.  I'm going to cook them anyway and after freezing they go into soup or something like that.

I freeze a lot of kale and corn and other things for soups.  

I just did a lot of online research on blanching or not.  I found several interesting articles NOT to blanch for the reasons @Sooner mentioned above.

Since our beans never touch the ground and we don't use pesticides of any kind, I read not to even wash them until defrosted and ready for use.

If you don't have a Foodsaver, freeze cut beans in a zip lock and suck the air out with a straw.  I tried a couple like this...I turned purple a bit, LOL but it really worked! 

For our toms...I will saute with garlic & other spices, then use the immersiion blender and frreze the 'sauce'.

Extra water is hard to get out and freezing vegs with dampness will cause issues.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife   Ha ha!  Just yesterday I peeled some peaches on their way to being soft and put a tiny sprinkle of sugar and lemon juice on them.

I put them in a small zip lock bag, put them on the counter and pressed out most of the air, zipped it shut JUST until I hit the straw, then took the air out and pulled out the straw and zipped it the rest of the way! 

We have a Foodsaver, but not worth getting out for one little bag of smoothie-bound peaches for the freezer. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@RespectLife   Ha ha!  Just yesterday I peeled some peaches on their way to being soft and put a tiny sprinkle of sugar and lemon juice on them.

I put them in a small zip lock bag, put them on the counter and pressed out most of the air, zipped it shut JUST until I hit the straw, then took the air out and pulled out the straw and zipped it the rest of the way! 

We have a Foodsaver, but not worth getting out for one little bag of smoothie-bound peaches for the freezer. 

@Sooner 

Exactly...it seemed I was getting one to two quart size amounts of beans from the garden to freeze every couple days.  I didn't want to pull out the Foodsaver either...to lazy and quite honestly, it is a very old model.  Takes a long time to rev it up, seal the bottom, seal the top.  It doesn't 'cancel' very well either, so it can squish delicate veggies and fruits if not careful.

I must live under a rock, never heard of using a straw!  DUH!  LOL