Esteemed Contributor

Do you freeze a lot of fresh tomatoes?

for upcoming winter dishes?  My Kitchen Aid has chopped many for casseroles and Lock n Lock   holding them in my freezer.  Wondering if I should mush more cuz I prefer fresh vs can store bought.  Also - do you freeze green beans - like pole beans?  Neighbor with garden doesn't blanch first, just wash snip and freeze.  Ideas welcome

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you freeze a lot of fresh tomatoes?

I'm not a fan of frozen tomatoes, but I do freeze green beans(bush and pole), I steam blanch them first though. I never heard of not blanching green beans first, but I would give it a try with a few to see how it works. I do freeze peppers and corn without blanching and that works great.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt   funny you should ask. this is our first summer at new location,  and we planted tomatoes, and boy do we have them.  finding the brandywine is the most delicious of them all.  i have been taking the slightly over ripe or boo-booed ones and putting them in a large freezer container to make sauce with. 

i also last nite, just threw a bunch in a saute pan, and mashed them a bit added a little this and that and it was wonderful. 

hate to waste any of them

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Martha Stewart grows TONS of tomatoes & freezes them. Of course there is a process to freezing tomatoes. Go to her website for details. It's easy.

Esteemed Contributor

Blanching......that's what Google said - so what does "G" know?  

(wink)

Valued Contributor

I cook my tomatoes down to sauce and then freeze. I think beans should always be blanched.I've read they can have salmonella if you don't. My Ball Blue Book says blance.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo As I recall - brandywine are the large tomatoes with dark purple/black/red tops - right?  I've never had them - look kind of scary  LOL

Juicy and all that?

I'm buying cherry and big regular tomatoes at a huge farmer's market down the road and going back tomorrow to see what's left.  Neighbor got me interested in freezing beans - I'm new to pole beams and find they have more flavor than the skinny guys.  Like to have those on hand during a North'eastern blizzard.  For which we're due.......in NY State.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't blanch things--just freeze them.  I'm going to cook them anyway and after freezing they go into soup or something like that.

I freeze a lot of kale and corn and other things for soups.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I usually freeze lots of tomatoes but this years crop hasn’t done so well and we’re able to eat right away.  I freeze mine peeled (the boiling water blister peel method).  Drain well and freeze them individually on cookie sheets and throw the frozen product in labeled zip lock bags.  

If you’re lucky enough to have large slicing tomatoes I quarter them prior to freezing after they’re peeled. Generally I freeze them whole and when they’re thawed they usually are like first day fresh for salads, sandwiches, etc. soooooo good!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt Your post was like a red light to me.  I love, love (and more love) real tomatoes.  But only good tomatoes.

I also said, "When I die put on my tombstone, "Here lies Annabelle....she loved a good tomato:.

My friend grows the most amazing tomatoes you ever ate.  This year he planted in his garden over (yes over) 400 tomato plants alone.

He cans them and does just about everything with them you can imagine.  He gives me lots and lots and well.....lots of them.  I eat so many tomatoes the inside of my mouth gets blisters on them (from the natural acid of the tomato).  

He called me last night and told me I need to come and pick up the last of the tomatoes.  That's it.....they're done!

OMG!  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  I would think you could set them into some tupperware and freeze them, but I don't think they'd taste very good.

Most of his, he cans them.  I'll have to ask him how many jars he's canned this year.

I just sent him a text to ask him your question about blanching.  He'll get back to me.  This guy has an amazing garden.  Doesn't use any chemicals.

He has tractors, you name it.

He said just now he canned 197 quarts of tomatoes!

He just said the tomatoes work better canning in glass jars.  This guy would know.  He still lives in the house his great grandparents built.  He lives right across the road from me.  

He's one of my best friends.

He just said yes, you should blanch the green beans.