Super Contributor

Re: Do you find your immersion blender to be an indispensable tool?

I had one that sat in the box for 15 years, and I donated it the last time I moved.

Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 house cat said:

Okay! Okay! I'm sold!

I chose this one from Cuisinart and still have money left over for this tea kettle that I wanted.

Omg...I have that tea kettle! I've had it a couple of years. Love it. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Okay! Okay! I'm sold! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I chose this one from Cuisinart and still have money left over for this tea kettle that I wanted. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That's the one I have, and I use it quite a bit. I use it for making tomato sauce, for different pureed soups and for salad dressing. It's an appliance I actually use more than I expected to when I bought it.

Frequent Contributor

Okay! Okay! I'm sold! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I chose this one from Cuisinart and still have money left over for this tea kettle that I wanted. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That's the one I have, but with the attachments. Link.

The little chopper attachment is what convinced me to buy it. My DIL handed it to me when I was preparing dinner at their house, and I found it very convenient instead of pulling out the food processor. I use all the attachments on mine.

Respected Contributor

"Indispensable"? No, not really. Very, very useful? Absolutely. We use it on soups, some salad dressings, guacamole, mashing potatoes, and other recipes that require real blending of ingredients.

We store ours in the original box rather than on a counter top.

Is it worth the money? It was to us.

Honored Contributor

On 5/10/2014 Sooner said:
On 5/10/2014 suzyQ3 said:

One of the best little appliances around. Why go to the trouble of transferring from a pot to a blender when you can take the blender to the pot? Why mess with a large blender just to emulsify or puree a small amount in the little container that comes with it?

I find the blender easier to clean and use than the handheld. Also, the blender is on the countertop and the hand held is in a drawer. The VitaMix is plugged in and ready to rip. Spray some hot water in to clean up, swipe with a cloth and plop it back on the base! No opening the drawer, and winding up the cord to put it back.

I take the immersion blender from my cabinet, plug it in, and blend whatever is in a pot on the stove or whatever I've put in the container that came with the blender. I rinse it off with hot water and a dash of dish detergent. And I'm done.

I have a very high-quality blender on our counter that we love for smoothies and that is cleaned similarly to VM (run it with soap and water, rinse well, and dry). I personally wouldn't use it for small amounts to puree or emulsify, and I don't really like transferring hot liquids from the stove to the blender when it's so much easier to use the handheld.

All a matter of personal preference.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

We are opposite because pretty much the only time I use the hand blender is for a big pot of soup. Small and medium amounts always go in the VM, but for a few quarts it is not worth slopping soup around or letting it cool enough to safely pour out.

Honored Contributor

On 5/11/2014 Sooner said:

We are opposite because pretty much the only time I use the hand blender is for a big pot of soup. Small and medium amounts always go in the VM, but for a few quarts it is not worth slopping soup around or letting it cool enough to safely pour out.

No, not totally opposite. As I said in my last reply, I, like you, don't like transferring hot liquids (e.g., pot of soup) to my blender.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

If you have access to a Costco, Costco (in store only) carries the Cuisinart CSB-79 with attachments for under $27. 200 watt, multiple speeds. The one in the store is a better configuration than a similar one available online for more money.

Cuisinart CSB-79 Smart Stick 2-Speed 200-watt Immersion Hand Blender with Attachments CSB-79 List price $59

Honored Contributor

Years ago I asked for an immersion blender for my birthday and DH gave me one that has a lot of accessories - it has a whisk that works better than any other one because of the high speed - it has a large and a small food processor that you attach the handle to as a power source and , of course it has a deep bowl and a deep cup for using as an immersion blender. I use this way more than I ever expected I would and got rid of my old blender when we moved to Fl as I no longer used it. Immersion blenders make great smoothie makers. It can crush ice in a nanosecond. the brand on mine is a Braun. I grow my own herbs and the small food processor is wonderful for chopping them very small.