Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever think back on your early days as a cook and shudder?

@faeriemoon

Your post about setting soup on fire is about the funniest thing I can imagine----a flaming pot of soup, fire engine sirens approaching in the distance, the look on the firefighters' faces as they douse water on your overdone soup.

I'm sure it didn't happen quite that dramatically (or hope it didn't!), but thanks for the laugh and the great imaginary visual.

I did manage once to create an oven full of flames for some reason that I can't remember, and they were out by the time the fire department arrived.  I felt very stupid at the time.  Luckily, the house was still standing after it was all over.

Honored Contributor

It was so awful I knew nothing about cooking at 20 years old.  I served my new husband back in 1982 one dinner of barbecue wieners because it was one of my favorite Elementary lunches in the 1968-1974.  He never complained.  He did however take one bite of my Hungry Jack Instant potatoes and said please do not ever serve me instant mashed potatoes again, this is nasty.   We loved them growing up.  Finally one night shortly after we were married he asked while we were eating if I had ever heard of "Hamburger Helper?"   I had not but it sounded like I needed to find out more.   After that and reading cookbooks things got way better.  Thanksgiving meals and all.  Still what that man had to endure is shameful.  I love cooking and especially love baking. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72, What a truly beautiful story!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@faeriemoon

Your post about setting soup on fire is about the funniest thing I can imagine----a flaming pot of soup, fire engine sirens approaching in the distance, the look on the firefighters' faces as they douse water on your overdone soup.

I'm sure it didn't happen quite that dramatically (or hope it didn't!), but thanks for the laugh and the great imaginary visual.

I did manage once to create an oven full of flames for some reason that I can't remember, and they were out by the time the fire department arrived.  I felt very stupid at the time.  Luckily, the house was still standing after it was all over.

@novamc1  I too managed to set the smoke detectors off more than once.  Fortunately we were able to stop the fire department before they dispached the trucks.

Weird how inept I was back then, but now I am so comfortable in the kitchen.  It's my favorite place to be.

Respected Contributor

On our wedding day my family teased me and told my husband I couldn’t cook. They were right my mother never told or showed me how to do anything. The first meal was porkchops. I called my mother and she said make sure you cook them well. Pork can make you sick if they aren’t cooked. They were like rocks. We could not cut them. We had Pb and jelly for supper. I did improve of course. Now he does most of the cooking. He enjoys cooking and it’s fine with me.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a home of girls, with me being in the middle.  My mother always offered to show us how to cook if we wanted, but I never took her up on it.  She was a fabulous Southern cook, cornbread, biscuits, breads, fried chocken, BBQ, you name it she could cook it.  After our honeymoon, I wanted to fix my DH a great brunch.  I could not figure out how to get the sausage out of the casing, so I called my mom.  Lesson learned LOL.  We laughed about that for many years to come. Now I am the "reluctant gourmet" according to DH because of the entertaining we do.  I would rather clean all day than be in the kitchen cleaning.  My ideal house would be one without a kitchen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There must have been some disasters, because I started cooking early. My dad proclaimed things " fit to eat" so my meals were okay but nothing special. I remember finding the Joy Of Jello" recipe book and I went a little crazy with Jello and pudding desserts.

Frequent Contributor

I got married young. All I could make was rice and scrambled eggs. We lived in a small college town in

upstate N.Y. They had triple blue stamps on wednesdays at the supermarket and gas station. I saved my stamps and when I had enough books got 

The Better Homes and Garden cookbook. 46 yrs. 

later and I still sometimes refer to that cookbook.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat I have been cooking and baking since I was old enough to drag a stool over beside my mom so I could reach the counter, and after my parents divorced and my Mom had to work full time I pretty much took over the cooking for my siblings and I, so being a new bride I was a pretty accomplished cook.  But never heard of some of the things he liked  to eat, and failed a couple of times at his likes, I told him it was a good time to learn to cook so he could make the items he wanted that I never would have learned to like, so I taught him, and he likes to cook now.  His mother was horrified when he told her that I taught him to cook, after all you know that is woman's work?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember my first meal I cooked for friends... I bought a stewing chicken...so cheap so I figured WOW....great deal...and I proceeded to fry it up..............no one could eat it.....we all went out. I learned the difference.

I've enjoyed reading all your replies here...a lot of memories. I did recall too, that one husband demanded I get home and make him dinner asap....I'd worked a 12 hour day...so, I put a pop tart on a plate, handed it to him and said, "Here's your dinner...you can heat it up yourself..." 

-Do Not Copy Pls-