Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever think back on your early days as a cook and shudder?

Nope.  I lived on my own before I was married, so I did all those household things myself.   

Respected Contributor

No, not at all. My Mother taught me well. I learned everything I know from her as a young girl helping her in the kitchen.  Thanks Mom! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I still shudder when I cook.  LOL!  I never had much desire or experience with cooking.  There were a lot of cooks in my family growing up so I never had to do it.  After I moved out, I seldom cooked.  When I got married, both DH and I were working and we'd come home dead tired and I would throw something quick together.  Now, that he is retired, he does simple things and so I still rarely cook.  I always thought I'd like to take some cooking classes but it never happened.  I admire those who are accomplished cooks.  My mother's cooking was just the best ever.  She was not a fancy cook, but she just had that natural ability.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

This to anyone !! Why do men really get married?,Is it just to turn us into work dogs??? Well as I get older, and older, and older that what I feel like. We never get to retire until we die.

Honored Contributor

I could not cook when I got married.  My husband wanted mashed potatoes and my family only ate potatoes on holidays but I did my best.  I peeled the potatoes and cut them into chunks but no matter what I did I could not mash them.  I finally took them to my neighbor for help and when she finished laughing she informed me that I have to boil the potatoes before I mash them!  We did not eat well the first couple of years......

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I could not cook when I got married.  My husband wanted mashed potatoes and my family only ate potatoes on holidays but I did my best.  I peeled the potatoes and cut them into chunks but no matter what I did I could not mash them.  I finally took them to my neighbor for help and when she finished laughing she informed me that I have to boil the potatoes before I mash them!  We did not eat well the first couple of years......

@DiAnne That cracked me up! Boil the potatoes first. Reminded me of my ex husband. Every night requirements were mashed potatoes with dinner and s-x later on. I used to tell my girlfriend at work and we had big laughs!

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou

In general, we women live longer than our spouses.  I think it's in part to the fact that we don't necessarily retire. I consider household chores to be exercise. I prefer a day of housework to hours at the gym.  Assuming you are otherwise loved and respected by your husband, perhaps you can consider changing your mindset.  My husband has become disabled and limited in the ways he can contribute to household chores.  I'm grateful every day that I am still able to do it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

When we were first married I somehow managed to catch soup on fire.  Not sure how; you'd think it would be impossible.

I now love to cook.  I learned from reading cookbooks and the cooking shows on PBS-- before Food Network was around.

Respected Contributor

I lived with my grandparents who cooked meals, some from scratch, every day. When my grandmother died, Pop and I would do a lot of takeout or go out to eat because it was cheaper for just the two of us. Occasionally I would make simple meals - tacos, spaghetti, and I did a lot of grilling. Working full time, I didn't have time to go through cookbooks and search for recipes. 

The first time I had to put a meal together was Thanksgiving. Boy that was a test! My mom, who always prepared dinner (and refused offers of help), had gotten very sick with a gastro bug that kept her bedridden during the long holiday weekend. So I did the turkey, chose the sides (kept it very simple and traditional). Pop wanted real mashed potatoes, so he offered to peel and cook them which helped me out a lot. The turkey came out a little overcooked, but it was fine. This year, my brother made the turkey and his wife did the fixings. He loves to cook and is good at it too. 

Honored Contributor

I learned to cook at 14 and grew up watching Julia Child. No. I could always put on a good meal.