Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever get groceries at Aldi's?

I love Aldi but you have to keep in mind they are not your typical grocery shopping experience.  The majority of the products in their store are their own labels, you have to bag your own groceries and remember to have a quarter handy to unlock a shopping cart (which you get back when you return your cart to the corral).

If you haven't shopped there before, what I enjoy most are their weekly specials so you may want to take a look at their website to see what's featured each week.  Their specials are both food items but also items for you and your home (last week I got terrific pads for my kitchen chairs).  Right now they are featuring all things holiday including decorations but also cooking/baking things and stocking stuffers.  I think if you go in there knowing you are looking for something specifically you may better enjoy getting to know the store better if that makes sense.

Respected Contributor

There is an ALDI also down the road from WM,    My receipts are showing Aldi prices have gone up. they now take CC not just cash or debit.  Their new sales start on Sundays.  They have very few low-sodium grocery items.  The middle aisles have non-food stuff.  They have Italian sodas in glass bottles - Pomegranate and Limoncello...so good. those may be seasonal.

Their stew meat is the best. The packaging makes the meat look purple.  They have fresh salmon in sealed pkg,  Always good.  found grass-fed ground beef was tough and chewy and the organic roasters were mostly leg and thighs. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to Aldi's several days ago and got (as usual) some of the freshest, prettiest celery and carrots to be found anywhere, plus a dozen eggs for  only 99 cents.  

Their  fresh bread  and pastry offerings are certainly interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

I've become a huge fan just recently of their jarred olives--and I've never liked olives too much in my entire life.

Some of the household goods are quite good and always interesting to look at, because of low prices.  

Aldi has a nice variety of cheese and other types of refrigerated items.  Frozen asparagus, peas, etc. are good.

I have grown especially fond of their frozen flatbread (pizza-type) varieties.

I guess everyone knows by now that Aldi is owned by Trader Joe's.  I wish plans to build another German grocery store near me --Lidl--had not been shot down by residents who didn't want the extra traffic that the store would create.

Honored Contributor

It's not for me.  I frequent a Natural Grocers for organic veggies, bread, and milk because it is a small, clean store with top notch produce and organic milk at decent prices.  I can park right out front and zip in and out quickly.  They have organic and cage free eggs at great prices, the yogurt I like, etc.

I go to a regular grocery store once in awhile for items I need from there, and we don't buy much in the way of food at Sam's now.  We also go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's about every three weeks for specific items.  I wish WF was closer to us!  I've found their 365 House Brand excellent.

Now that I don't have to go in Wal Mart I might pick up a few things like basic pantry items there once in awhile.  

Aldi's just doesn't fill any need I have for groceries and I find our store messy and frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

I live in a large city and the Aldi's are great . They have the best and  lowest priced vegetables other than summertime farmer markets. I love their sourdough bread. I shop there once or twice a month at least. 

They honor thier return policy . The only time I ever used it was when I bought a ham that smelled wonky. I will bet that somebody put it back in the refrigerated section after someone ditched it because they were too lazy to walk it back-- I have seen customers do that in all stores ,but I digress.

They made good on their product. The only item I have purchased and that wasn't a go was their own brand of cat food--even the strays I feed wouldn't eat it ! 

Thier non food items can be a bargain . I have purchased mini bakeware, spatulas , a chopper , etc. that have been good quality and low priced--good knock offs.

Check their website and put in your zipcode to find folders.

Contributor

Only thing I have purchased this year are 2 Butterball turkeys, because that is a brand I have used for a hundred years and the price was better than the major groceries here. I don’t trust “ house brands” unless from really reputable grocery stores (no problem at all) and I really don’t feel that Aldi qualifies for that.  While I could expand on this I won’t because I am sure there are many people who need to cut food costs; as limited as my budget is this is one area I won’t compromise on.  you always get what you pay for -or not. My local store sells  more “stuff” like toys, blankets, jammies etc which tells me something....

Honored Contributor

Aldi's is a little bit different as grocery stores go.  After you have been a few times,  I think you will come to love it.  Aldi brand items mostly.  Less expensive that Wal Mart in Birmingham.  A smaller store so you don't walk yourself to death.  Most food items taste as good or better than name brands.  Some don't taste as well to me.  You have to taste for yourself.  Give it a try! 

Honored Contributor

When they first opened in our area we shopped there almost exclusively, but when their prices went up we quit them. A few months ago we stopped there to see what they had to offer, we did buy a few things, but have not been back.

Honored Contributor

Our Aldi just remodeled to make the store larger.

I have not had any problems with the stuff I have bought in there.

Our Wal-Mart is not far from them but their prices are higher.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff online from Target since I was at Wal-Mart & they quit stocking a lot of stuff. They had to make room for more booze plus Organic products is what I was told.

I'm not going from store to store looking for stuff I need. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

yes some good buys there