Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you ever get groceries at Aldi's?

I like Aldi but it is not my go-to grocery store.  Same as some of the posts here--limited selction of some items.  Some items not carried there at all.  When they first arrived in my area, the prices were really good.  I have noticed lately that they have gone up, as they have at other stores.  But, now I can get things less expensive elsewhere.  So, if I don't happen to be driving by, I do not stop just to shop there.

Honored Contributor

I think once for us.Store didn't do much for us and we had to deposit a quarter to get a cart.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I think once for us.Store didn't do much for us and we had to deposit a quarter to get a cart.

@Group 5 minus 1.  You get the quarter back.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I understand Aldi's stores vary a bit as to location.  We first went to one 6 miles away and and found it very satisfactory; then a closer store was opened and it was the same.  Only complaint is that it's always packed with customers!  Woman LOL

As others mentioned, Aldi's is not one stoppping, but I actually LIKE you don't have to sift through 47 brands of canned tomatoes.  Our store's produce is fresher than Publix and all their fresh meat is very good.  They also occasionally have great prices on usually expensive items such as asiago and gruyere cheeses and Maine lobster tails.

I'm probably in the minority, but wish they would get rid of the non-food items (toys, housewares, pajamas, etc.).

ETA;  As far as the quarter for cart thing, we must live in a friendly area.  Most times we run into someone unloading their cart in the parking lot, give us their cart and refuse the quarter.  We've done the same (pass it along).

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

I love Aldi but you have to keep in mind they are not your typical grocery shopping experience.  The majority of the products in their store are their own labels, you have to bag your own groceries and remember to have a quarter handy to unlock a shopping cart (which you get back when you return your cart to the corral).

I've been to three different Aldi's in different states, and they all had regular shopping carts - no quarter required.  So I guess that varies depending on management, area, or whatever

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

We haven't as of now, it's farther to go there, than where we shop now.

Good store to you?

I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but they do have a few things that I like.

As others have said, their products are hit or miss. I've been disappointed, and I've also been pleasantly surprised. The stores themselves are very basic, no frills, and that's fine, but I need more products and more variety.  Some people who shop there don't seem to realize that they don't bag.  So you need to bring bags and do that yourself, but I've noticed employees providing boxes to customers who came unprepared.  My sister lives in another state, and boxes are always given to customers at the Aldi's in her area.

I drive past one in my usual travels from time to time, and every now and then I stop in, but just to get a couple of things.  There's no way I could ever do my regular grocery shopping there.