Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you ever find yourself preparing a less-than-healtful meal, just because it's easier?

Of course!  We have all been there.  Let's face it, comfort, fat food tastes great.  As others have noted, all things in moderation.  To keep from binging I try avoid those "bad" foods but still eat them.  Have less of the fattening stuff and more salads, roasted veggies and fruits to balance things out.

I almost never eat bread - I mean the heavenly white, super crusty french kind.... but just had to have a fabulous sandwich the other day, so I did not deny myself.Woman Tongue

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you ever find yourself preparing a less-than-healtful meal, just because it's easier?

@Sooner, thanks. I'll just look up charts for different things and figure it out. I love roasted veggies! And I love browning meat and fish lightly on the stove, and finishing them in the oven. I just hadn't put into my head as a "sheet pan" supper. Love that! 

What's your favorite combination of things that roast well together? I like pork chops, brussels sprouts, and white sweet potato wedges. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner, thanks. I'll just look up charts for different things and figure it out. I love roasted veggies! And I love browning meat and fish lightly on the stove, and finishing them in the oven. I just hadn't put into my head as a "sheet pan" supper. Love that! 

What's your favorite combination of things that roast well together? I like pork chops, brussels sprouts, and white sweet potato wedges. 

@KaySD

Fish is my favorite thing and we don't brown it or chicken first!  We do a lot of salmon.  Also, chicken breasts--the bone-in skin-on kind are the best!  I  usually start those earlier than the veggies.

We do a lot of carrots and onions sliced thick, sweet potatoes cut in home-style fry shape, mushrooms are good, and even nice green beans!  We often nuke some broccoli in the microwave to go with the roasted veggies.

Honored Contributor

When I don't feel like anything I do a main dish salad.

Love homemade dressings or Italian with fresh parmesian.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Sometimes it is easier to go to go out.  But most of the time we eat healthy meals whether quick or not.  If you don't keep less healthy choices, it isn't quicker.

We stock up on good canned salmon and tuna; frozen salmon fillets; frozen cooked beans and packets of rice; frozen home cooked greens; canned sardines (I LOVE 'em!); whole wheat breads and english muffins; frozen or jarred pasta saucess that aren't too bad and ww pasta to be nuked and put together with some cooked chicken, cottage cheese or other cheese and maybe mushrooms and or olives; etc.  Frozen broccoli that can be nuked and added, frozen peas, etc.

We have on hand cooked chicken or turkey and broth; carrots and celery, potatoes, onions, and maybe frozen or canned beans of some kind for a quick veggie or taco or noodle soup that actually takes minutes.

We can do that about as easy as a lot of frozen foods that aren't really so good for you.

I know how to throw these things together, clean up while it is cooking and serve from the cooking container about as fast as we can eat out or maybe even faster than heating up the oven and cooking some freezer food from the store. 

Oh and a lot of sheet pan roasted dinners with meats and fresh veggies are really quick!  And crispy sheet pan white or sweet potato fries are great!

Hey Sooner!  Don't forget the canned soup!  Smiley Wink

(ducking out quickly)  Heart

@chickenbutt

Well bless your heart thank you!  Without my mushroom and/or cream of chicken soup, I'd NEVER be able to make a quick King Ranch Chicken casserole or chicken pot pie!!!!!!  Yes, canned soup (the "healthy" Woman Wink kind of course) is a must!   

And your "friends" NEVER let you forget!!!  LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

When i think of what we hand ouit at the foodbank - it is far from healthy eating. Boxed mac & cheese, PB , canned meats - sometimes peope have economic reasons to not be able to eat healthy. Fresh fruits and veggies are expensive.