Honored Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy handwashing your dishes or using the dishwasher?

@2blonde wrote:

@Barbarainnc  Interesting subject and interesting answers.  This one will probably get you, though.  I moved into my condo nearly 28 years ago and have never so much as turned on the dishwasher!  I use so few dishes in a day, that it seemed like a waste, so I do the few I have by hand.  At this point in time, I'd be scared to even try the DW, as all the hoses are probably rotted by now and I'd have a flood!

I've had mine 26 years and never turned it on either. 

Honored Contributor

Yes. I enjoy it most of the time. I don't use my dishwasher every night.  I like laundry, too.  Anything with soap and water makes me happy :-)

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I don't own a dishwasher so I have no choice on handwashing my dishes.  I do enjoy it  and find it relaxing unless I've made up several things for the freezer and have a boatload of things to wash.  I'm sure if I had a dishwasher that I'd love it and use it though.

I always dry them at the same time as I don't want the clutter and also want to get things put away so I can move on to the next task.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Yes. I enjoy it most of the time. I don't use my dishwasher every night.  I like laundry, too.  Anything with soap and water makes me happy :-)

I find laundry the worst chore. Such drudgery!  And always so much of it. I don't know how bigger families keep up with it because even with just DH and I it seems endless!

Valued Contributor

HAND WASH ITS ONLY ME HERE UNLESS I HAVE FAMILY OVER FOR DINNER THEN THE DISHWASHER

Respected Contributor

No dishwasher here.  Most of the time, I don't mind hand washing.  It is soothing and relaxing, as long as I'm not pressed for time.  Just the two of us, so don't usually have many.

When I was a kid, it was my chore.  I didn't like it, because my brother and his friends would leave me a huge pile to wash.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Washing dishes, hand or dishwasher, is a chore, and one I do not "enjoy!"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't say I enjoy handwashing, but did it for a few years until I got my new dishwasher.

It makes my dishes sparkle, and handwashing never did that.  Neither did my old dishwasher.

Also, I broke a few too many special pieces due to lack of full hand use due to RA, including one favorite glass mug (was a set of four) that is irreplaceable.  I bought them from the old Coffee Tree in Vacaville.  (Yes, I've checked online.) 

I'm so glad I have a dishwasher again.  

I feed my tiny dog three times a day, and she gets a clean glass bowl every time.  (Tiny amount of food, of course.)  I have six dog bowls left out of eight (two broke due to previous need to handwash).  I prefer using the dishwasher to clean and dry those bowls.

I'm all in favor of chores that can be done as a form of mental relaxation but dishwashing doesn't make my list any longer.  Vacumming, maybe.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I run the dishwaster 2 or 3 times a week.  I hand wash knives, cooking utensils, pots and pans - but I don't enjoy it!

Honored Contributor

I HATE handwashing dishes, but I do miss the clean nails.  Then there's my dishwasher, its having trouble getting the dishes clean lately.  And I dislike putting clean dishes away, although loading it in the first place doesn't bother me.  Solution?  Win the lottery and hire full time help.