Honored Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy handwashing your dishes or using the dishwasher?

One morning I woke up, decidrf I was never unloading the dishwasher again!  i can remember since the age of 7 helping Mother empty the dang thing and have been doing it ever since.  

So, I started washing them by hand...letting them air dry, but am getting tired of that too.  So, when I have too many dishes, I do use the dishwasher.  It's good to use it every once in while just to make sure it doesn't forget what its supposed to do.  Lol!

Honored Contributor

I don't own enough dishes to fill a dishwasher.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Barbarainnc  Interesting subject and interesting answers.  This one will probably get you, though.  I moved into my condo nearly 28 years ago and have never so much as turned on the dishwasher!  I use so few dishes in a day, that it seemed like a waste, so I do the few I have by hand.  At this point in time, I'd be scared to even try the DW, as all the hoses are probably rotted by now and I'd have a flood!

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

There is something nice about mindless, repetitive chores that can be relaxing, like washing dishes (or in my case ironing).  The problem with hand-washing is the sanitation issue.  We cannot use water hot enough when washing by hand--we would be scalded.  In that case, a dishwasher does a better job. 

There will always be things that don't go in the dishwasher that can be handwashed.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't enjoy doing dishes by hand..  I do wash my good knives and some pots and pans by hand but they are non-stick and a cinch to clean.  I didn't have a dishwasher for the first several years of marriage.  If this one dies I'm headed for another the same day.  I can't imagine holiday dinners without a dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

I don’t enjoy any housework. As for dishes, sometimes I wash and let dry in the dishwasher as another poster mentioned. I don’t worry about the water being hot enough to sanitize if I wash as opposed to using the dishwasher.

I do use the dishwasher pretty often. I scrap them but don’t rinse.

Valued Contributor

OK I am one of those folks that find handwashing dishes relaxing. I would get periodlically asked if I wanted a dishwasher but always said no.  I still do not own one.  I have a very vintage kitchen and I would have had to tear out original cabinets to accomodate one so it was a easy decision to go old school. 

Contributor

I enjoy handwashing my dishes. We do have a dishwasher but we have hard water which makes it essentially ineffective. I'm really picky and would end up handwashing about 95% of the stuff anyway. I would not put cookware, knives, & wooden utensils in the dishwasher.
Honored Contributor

I live alone so it is a waste of water and such to run my dishwasher.  I handwash all then put in the dishwasher to dry off on their own.  I do run the dishwasher about every 6 months to make sure hoses do not harden and crack. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I dont enjoy dishwashing, but as a neatnick I get satisfaction from having a clean kitchen.