Super Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy handwashing your dishes or using the dishwasher?

There are only 2 of us, so I always hand washed the dishes and never used the dishwasher. Just over  a year ago, we pulled out the dishwasher and installed a compact stainless steel freezer from Home Depot. It fit perfectly in the spot. I always needed extra freezer space, so now I have it in the kitchen and not in the garage!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a dishwasher, and I don't want one. I've never liked what dishwashers do to the dishes. Things taste funny and get a film on them from the water in this general area, and I feel the heat is hard on things.

I actually kind of enjoy washing dishes. I love dishes, serveware and bakeware, and so handling them to wash dry and put away is kind of something I enjoy. I have to dry them and put them right away though, no air drying. Too spotty and my kitchen isn't 'clean' unless everything is done and put away. 

Honored Contributor

I use a dishwasher because the water gets hot enough to sterilize everything. I love the way my glasses sparkle..I could never get them to look that way with hand washing.

When someone is sick in the house, a dishwasher sterilizes   their glasses and dishes, so I like it for that. Also when we entertain, I would not want to do all the dishes ...sometimes 3 loads of dishes!

Honored Contributor

Do I enjoy handwashing dishes?  No. It's just the 2 of us, but I use the dishwasher.  In fact, if I ever got my dream kitchen, I'd install 2 dishwashers.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Do I enjoy handwashing dishes?  No. It's just the 2 of us, but I use the dishwasher.  In fact, if I ever got my dream kitchen, I'd install 2 dishwashers.

@Mj12

if i ever do another major remodel i would do the same!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I'm up late tonight, so my DW is cleaned out and ready to go again tomorrow.  I can concentrate on coffee in the AM.

If your dishwasher is getting gummy, try a cleaner for it.  Some swear by vinegar.  Depending on the year/model, new units are designed to scrub junk - dismiss the whole total rinse approach (though I wipe grease away - never a good thing to put down the drain).  If you clean the dishes before, you might as well wash by hand.  All the agitation of the water is wasted if the dishes are already clean.

I love my dishwasher.  I run it daily and sometimes 2x.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I wanted a dish washer back in the 80's, more trouble than it was worth. I know when I wash them they are clean the first time. And don't have to buy all of the extra products to use in the dish washer. And they are dangerous to spring leaks, water pressure in older houses is another crazy thing to deal with. I had a portable and at least I had extra counter space.

Respected Contributor

even though theres 2 of us i still run dishwasher allmost every day. i much prefer using dw over hand wshing dishes. i do put pans in dw so it fills up faster with pans in it. i do hand wash what cant go in dw though.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I wanted a dish washer back in the 80's, more trouble than it was worth. I know when I wash them they are clean the first time. And don't have to buy all of the extra products to use in the dish washer. And they are dangerous to spring leaks, water pressure in older houses is another crazy thing to deal with. I had a portable and at least I had extra counter space.

IMO DW have improved a lot since the 80's and so have products for them .

Contributor

I handwash because my dishwasherbroke a few years back and there were just 2 of us here at the time.  Now just me and the fridge and range have been replaced.  The dishwasher was 3rd priority and isstill waiting. I got an absolutelt perfect range free via the neighborhood app Netdoor from someone who was remodeling.