Honored Contributor

Re: Do you dispose of canned goods past the "best use by date" or do you extend it?

I throw tomato products out after about 2 months past expiration date since tomato products get rancid easily even if they don't show signs of bulging on the jar lid or cans but others I will use up to 2 years - although there are some things that if not used within a year  are probably not going to be used.  My SO will buy a lot of a product thinking he will make things only he likes (and brands I don't use) if it is on sale and they are not used and end up being thrown out after a year or so.  He doesn't get it that it's not a bargain if you don't use it much!   I find that generic brands are often in thinner cans and don't keep well.  Sometimes cannned goods will bulge even if the date is still good on those. 

Super Contributor

Re: Do you dispose of canned goods past the "best use by date" or do you extend it?

The OP is buying too much at a time.  Like another poster said, if you are not using it before the "best used by" date, you need to cut back on your spending.

I just checked my canned goods in my pantry.  All but one had the year 2020 as the best used by date.  The one that didn't said 2021.

Frequent Contributor

Our local food pantry has a six month rule for use by date. They will accept and use donated canned food for six months past the use by date. 

Honored Contributor

no

Honored Contributor

I just threw out box of cake mix dated 12-21-18

I want only the freshest or my digestive system will let me know within about an hr.    Somebody pass the charmin.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy food  in bulk but if something is in my pantry for more than  a year, it gets tossed no matter the condition or sale by date.

Sometimes I buy 2 of something for a recipe, when only 1 is needed.   At most, 1 item gets tossed and rarely.    I don't have a lot of space for extra.

In addition to looking for dents & bulging, I would also never use anything with a bit of rust on it.    Even if it otherwise looks OK.

Honored Contributor

Technically it would be good for a pinch but I would view it differently.

If you didn’t like it enough to use during the months/years prior the expiration date, there’s a greater than zero chance I won’t like it

3 days after the expiration date.  

Toss.

And never buy again.

Life Lesson. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got rid of my opener several years ago after all my fur babies passed and my health did not permit more.  No reason to buy processed food in a can. Check the salt, sugar and fat contents and you will be scared off. Don't miss any at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I just threw out box of cake mix dated 12-21-18

I want only the freshest or my digestive system will let me know within about an hr.    Somebody pass the charmin.

Funny, I just made a cake (a few weeks ago) with a box mix that was dated October of 2016.  It was fine, tasted good, and no one got sick.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ced1694743d11508394bd995e98b229dc7ed53c2 (1).gif    I did.