Trusted Contributor

Do you cook with wine? What kind and what do you pair it with?

I was watching the Vitamix French Onion soup demo and Jan said one of the ingredients was white wine.  He didn't specify what kind of wine and I was wondering.  The recipe looked good to me.  

So, do you cook with wine?  What kind of wine do you use and where do you use it?  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you cook with wine? What kind and what do you pair it with?

I like a dry white wine for cooking like chardonnay. It's best to buy a good wine that you would like to drink, it doesn't have to be expensive to be tasty.

Honored Contributor

I use Vermouth for a lot of sauces and splashes of wine.  It's what Julia taught me!  

Respected Contributor

I use white wine for fish, chicken and vegatables and red for meats. If I can drink the wine then I can cook with it. Usually a Chardonannay or a Merlot.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

"I cook with wine and sometimes I even put it in my food." This is a sign I have in my kitchen and it is true. I really like dry red wine so many times i add it to the dish. I don't like to,open a bottle of white wine just to add some so,I don't add it unless the recipe calls for it. 

Respected Contributor

@Beansey wrote:

"I cook with wine and sometimes I even put it in my food." This is a sign I have in my kitchen and it is true. I really like dry red wine so many times i add it to the dish. I don't like to,open a bottle of white wine just to add some so,I don't add it unless the recipe calls for it. 

Hi, @Beansey!

Awhile ago I'd opened a bottle of wine to add to a cioppino I was making. I ended up pouring the rest of the bottle into a Ziploc baggie & froze it.

Months later, I was in the mood for a glass of wine, but had none, and then remembered the frozen vino.

I took it out of the freezer, zapped it a minute in the microwave, & voila!  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Regular Contributor

I usually add a good semi-dry red wine to my chili, beef stew, pot roast and Pinot grigio to rice, chicken. And I always marinate my venison chops, roasts and steaks in a hearty red, then I drink the rest.

I have also used some whites with glazed carrots and a couple times I added white to the cooking water when making mashed piotatoes. It was an interesting flavor.  I just like to experiment.

Respected Contributor

@Gardengal55 wrote:

I usually add a good semi-dry red wine to my chili, beef stew, pot roast and Pinot grigio to rice, chicken. And I always marinate my venison chops, roasts and steaks in a hearty red, then I drink the rest.

I have also used some whites with glazed carrots and a couple times I added white to the cooking water when making mashed piotatoes. It was an interesting flavor.  I just like to experiment.

@Gardengal55, I knew a cook who added white wine to his lobster mac 'n cheese. It was delish! 

Muddling through...
Regular Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Gardengal55 wrote:

@Gardengal55, I knew a cook who added white wine to his lobster mac 'n cheese. It was delish! 

Oh yum!  

Respected Contributor

For my pasta sauces and an occasional sip or two, I like the the Reunite Lambrusco. Fine for my taste buds.