Esteemed Contributor

We like grits and I was just wondering......since you stir the dry grits into boiling, then simmer until done, Is there an electric cooker on the market that would allow you to boil water, open, stir in grits and turn to simmer?

It would be so nice to be able to do grits like I do rice!

Grits = polenta

Respected Contributor

Yes. I cook grits on cool mornings. I also like oatmeal and cream of wheat on cool mornings. I always cook grits in a saucepan on the stovetop. I did see online that you can cook grits in a rice cooker. I cook rice on the stovetop.

From Livestrong online

Step 1

Add 1 part grits and 4 parts cold water or stock to the rice cooker. Season the water or stock to taste with kosher salt and cover.

Step 2

Set the rice cooker to the standard or White Rice setting. Come back in about 20 minutes or when the rice cooker switches to Warm mode.

Step 3

Uncover the rice cooker and transfer the grits to a mixing bowl. Stir the grits several times and taste them.

Step 4

Adjust the seasoning with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and butter, if desired. If you are adding freshly chopped herbs, add them while hot.

Tips

• You can leave the cooked grits in the rice cooker on the "Keep Warm" setting while you cook the rest of your meal.
Esteemed Contributor

I found that info after Googling several times and I tried it.  It worked.  The grits were pretty much the same to me.

Thanks @Iwantcoffee for checking for me.  If I can cook 2 servings in the Wolfgang mimi rice cooker, I should be able to cook a pot full in the Wonder Pot.  It is only a cooker and has a rice setting.  Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

I use the WolfGang Puck mini rice cooker to make grits/keep warm with no problems. 

HOWEVER....I cannot make oatmeal in the the WGP mini or PC larger rice cooker.  

Oatmeal (Old Fashion Oats) bubbles up and over and makes a major MESS.   

I just use a small pot on the stove for my old fashioned oatmeal. 

CAT

Respected Contributor

I too use the Wolfgang or Skinny Mini for grits and also polenta....

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you.  My SO can do eggs but was afraid to try grits.  Now they are easy also!

Frequent Contributor

I have never tasted grits, not sure if I like them?

I do make steel cut oats in my Cook's Essential Perfect Cooker and they turn out great. No spilling over. 

Maybe the old fashioned oats froth more when they cook?

If you like steel cut oats try them in your mini Wolfgang Puck Cooker. Just try 1/8 cup of oats to 1/2 cup water or milk.

I've doubled this amount in my cooker, but it's the 5 cup.

You may be able do just do this small batch in your mini cooker.

Honored Contributor

Ohhh I LOVE grits! But I can never make them solely on the fact I would sit down and finish them off! Too fattening, not the right carb (white) and did I say they way too fattening?!!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

We use the instant grits when traveling and the regular at home.  I love to add shredded cheese and green tabasco sauce.  I don't think I could do them undoctored...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you cook grits?

[ Edited ]

I use the 5 min grits and they worked out fine.

With grits, salt is essential.  I often add cream cheese and shredded cheddar to mine.  Love them this way!

One of our local seafood restaurants cooks grits, spread in a pan to 1/2 inch thick and chill....gut into wedges or pieces and deep fry.  It is a side dish with their dinners.  Pretty good.  I have done this and fried in butter to brown.

Many people stop at restaurants and order grits and don't like them.  They are just not cooked correctly.  They make a big pot full and let it sit on the heat and keep adding water as they thicken.  Not the way to make good grits!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your comments.  Enjoy your grits!  and eggs and bacon or sausage!