Honored Contributor

Re: Do you bake in hot weather?

Nope.

I just use my small toaster-convection oven, or sometimes the microwave.

Cute kitty avatar, BTW.  :womanhappy:

Contributor

i don't mind the weather , i 

Respected Contributor

Only in counter top appliances: BIg Boss (similar to Nu Wave oven),George Forman grill with baking pan, Ninja Cooking thing (exact name escapes me at the moment) ,Wolfgang Puck's little pie maker (great for a couple of 'wampum' biscuits that DH loves) or Microwave

Respected Contributor

Yes I do.  We have AC.  I don't really notice heat coming out of our oven that much anyway.  It must be insulated good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ovens do give off heat while they're running and cooling down. In theory,  we should use less energy intensive devices (microwave, crockpot, outdoor grill). Or, better yet, go out to dinner! That uses no energy. Why don't you suggest that to your DH?

Also, does your DH want to give up his computer and TV, lights, hot showers? They all add heat to the house.  

We eat a little differently in summer - lots of salads, fresh fruits, grilled veggies and meats. They're more appetizing when it's hot. A long cooking stew or chili doesn't seem as appealing during a heat wave.

But I still bake. I'm making these cookies to take to a cookout tomorrow:

http://www.marthastewart.com/333938/old-fashioned-sugar-cookies

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the responses.  I had forgotten that I started this thread!

Yesterday, I decided to bake something "summery", so I made a Key Lime Pie.  I'd never made it before, nor had I ever tasted it.  I used Martha's recipe.

Click here for that recipe if you're interested.

I served it to Dh last night. He loved it.  Me, not so much. I'll save my calories for something I enjoy more.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Yes, I bake in any weather except extreme humidity (which is a lot in FL). The humidity really affects the final product especially in my cookies or yeast baking.

Summer I tend to do fun "fruit pizza" or cool desserts
Trusted Contributor

I don't bake nearly as much in the summer as I do in the colder months. However, both my kids have summer birthdays, so I will be making cakes for sure. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in the deep south and don't like to use the oven for much of anything in the summer.  I love to use my couter top oven for most things, even in the winter.  The smaller size means it heats up faster, bakes faster and doesn't heat the whole house.  It does warm things a bit, but doesn't anywhere near as bad as the oven.

Frequent Contributor

I dont bake as much in hot weather. Something about winter and fall, and having a warm oven on, and something smelling yummy all through the house. Although today is about 107. And i did bake a cake. My husbands birthday is the fourth of July. So i had to make a cake. Luckily our house stays nice and cool. Hardly noticed the oven on. Happy fourth to everyone!